do gold fish have to have a filtered tank to live?

i know some fish don't have to have filtered water. but our gold fish is not moving much. i put in fresh water yesterday (about 25% new water) but the fish are acting the same. we have a 10 gal tank besides the one we have now that i can set up. but this was dd's christmas present and the fish she picked out for it.

any advice please

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 3:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pets

• They CAN live in unfiltered water...but filtered water is better for them and you....less cleaning.

But also the chlorine can kill them, get some de-chlorinator....at a supply store...and also about a teaspoon of salt to the water keeps them perky....(NON IODINE SALT) I add it to my 40 gallon tank....keeps them healthy longer.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• ALL fish do better with filtered water. If you want this gift for your daughter to survive, set up the 10 gallon tank and filter.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• They will live in unfiltered water, but not as happily or as long. Goldfish are some of the messiest fish (waste) and they need a big tank with a filter. Please don't just get a goldfish bowl for a goldfish.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My goldfish lived in unfiltered, rarely cleaned water for years. We joked that he committed suicide. After about 5 years he jumped out of the tank, lol.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• We had a gold fish in a bowl. It lived about 6 months. I changed the water and the temperature difference must have been too much. It smelled though. I had to change the water often.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• it's not a gold fish bowl. it's one of those tanks that has like 5 different lights. i was planning on cleaning the tank once a week. and replacing some of the water in it every few days. this is the tank we got

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3107806
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i just went to the company that makes the tank it has a filter plate. so i guess it does have a filter in a way. i may just end up cleaning the rocks soon. and keep added fresh water. to the tank
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My daughter used purified water to keep hers alive for 2 years. I know chlorine in water will kill them.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011