How can I get our kitten to stop biting our 4-year-old daughter?

In the beginning of October I rescued a stray kitten. I've become very attached to him, but he keeps "attacking" our daughter. I know that he is playing, but he hurts her. I've had him declawed, but his teeth do enough damage. Does anyone know how to train him to stop biting her? I don't want to have to give him away, but I can't have him hurting her.

fraujones

Asked by fraujones at 3:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pets

• I would go for the water bottle too.Be consistant with it,be there to supervise when they are together.Does the kitten have plenty of toys?Try to redirect it.I have a saying ------ age does wonders with behavior.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 11:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• get a spray bottle, fill it with water and spray him everytime he attacks her. it will click eventually that he'll get hosed everytime he does this behavior.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• How old is the kitten? Usually they just grow out of it at about a year and a half old. Other than that, try squirting it with water when it bites her.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I agree with the spray bottle, but if my kitty bit I don't know if I would keep her.
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• He's about 15 weeks. Thanks for the advice!
    fraujones

Comment by fraujones (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I never owned a cat, but the water bottle sounds like a good idea to me.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You can't train a cat. Spraying a cat with water is abusive and it's about as effective as kicking a dog for punishment. It doesn't work.

Redirect it with a toy. If you can't supervise the kitten and your daughter, put the kitten in a room someplace.

Also, declawing is horrible. Perhaps you should cut your fingers off at the first knuckle and then tell us how you feel. That, is how your cat feels.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2011