How do I cut out 5am feeding?

My 4.5 month old has slept through the night several times but lately she wakes up and loudly fusses until I feed her. I try to rock her but it just makes her cry more. I have left her alone for 45 minutes before but she won't fall back asleep. She does self soothe all other times but early morning. I limit her nursing and she immediately falls back asleep. Any advice???

bugfin

Asked by bugfin at 3:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son at 4 months was the average size of a 1yr old.. the doctor recommended me weaning the nightly feedings. He cried for 2 nights but was able to self soothe after awhile. After those 2 nights he only wakes up once for a feeding and I know he needs it because if I let him self soothe, 45 min later he is awake again crying. If the letting her cry it out isn't working, she might be going through a growth spurt and may need that one feeding. Mine is 6mo and still wakes up once to eat (this is after the night time weaning)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• She's obviously hungry - get up and feed her, UNlimited! She's only a little baby, they're supposed to wake up to eat, especially bf babies!
    Anonymous

• You don't. When she gets to the point when she doesn't need the feeding she won't wake up for it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You don't! The poor little thing is hungry!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Night weaning at that age is linked with failure to thrive and low milk supply.

Your baby is growing. She needs to eat to make this growth spurt happen. Nurse the baby.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Just feed her. You'll get a full night's sleep again... well... hmmm... she'll outgrow the feeding but move on to nightmares then late nights of homework then dating then her wedding then the grandbabies...

Oh yeah. My mom said we get a full night's sleep again in the grave. **grin**

Just roll with it. She'll drop it on her own. When she's ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It seems like she's legitimately hungry. At this young age, I would feed her.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks, everyone! When I read the books they say babies don't need to eat during the night after 12 lbs. Mine is 15+ lbs.
    bugfin

Comment by bugfin (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Books don't know everything, as you now know. It's ridiculous to assume that a child won't be hungry or thirsty during the night. As an adult do YOU get hungry or thirsty during the night sometimes? Once you begin to look at it that way, it makes more sense, right? Babies aren't one size fits all, and many books make them out to be. Breast or bottle? Only asking so that I can possible recommend a GOOD book :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• yes I am aware. That is why I asked on here. = ) Breast. she is eating cereal, too.
    bugfin

Comment by bugfin (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2011