Staying at the dinner table..... Help

When my 19 month is done eating that's it she is done. She wants down now. Lately she eats about 10 bites and has had enough. How do I make her realize that she needs to stay in her highchair till we are done? OR is this something that I should wait to try? How do you get your little ones to stay at the table till everyone is done eating atleast? I dont mean till after dinner conversation is over just the eating part....

I must add that she can tell me and does tell me that she is all done.   She will say all down and want down...  

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Work her up to it, a little at a time, if you feel it's important. At 19 months, maybe two minutes post-eating is all you'll get. When she talks more, you may find it easier.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Would giving her a quiet toy she can play with or a waterproof book to keep her occupied while others finish help?
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 3:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• my 2 year old loves to get up and go do something else half-way thru eating. i ask her if she's done and can i throw her food away, and she says "no, mine" and sits down to eat more bites. after that she's usually done, but sometimes we go through it another time or two before she's done. it's very hard to get a 2 year old (or young toddler) to sit still through a meal. i still have problems with my 4 year old, but she knows she has to sit there until everyone's finished eating. i think i started making my oldest do it around 3, when she was easier to reason with. it's important to me because it's good table manners, imo.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• children them selves just have a short attention span... my son will do the same thing up and down or sometimes sit and finish it all...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 3:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't make Ethan sit there, when he is done he can just leave the kitchen. Because he wants to play with everyone so I tell him that if he is done then he must leave the room. Usually he will sit still and eat some more so he doesn't have to be alone in the other part of the house, but some days he will get up and go play.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• We just havebnever allowed my dd to run around while eating. Sometimesshe tries to throw a fit, and i let her know it's not acceptable. If it's that important to you, just do it, and stick to it.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 10:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2011