How do you tell your parents?

How do you tell your parents that dont like your boyfriend, and that their last "baby" is pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• wel if your over 18 they cant really do much about it so you just have to tell them. they might be upset for a while but trust me in the end they will get over it and love you and your baby. now rather like your boyfriend is another story lol my parents still dont like my hubby and we have been together now for 5 years.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• you find the courage and just tell them and once that baby finally comes they may still not like your boyfriend but they will love the hell out of that little one. good luck to you
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• you and the boyfriend they don't like should sit them down like adults...because that's what ya'll are becoming.....and tell them that you two made a baby together and you would love it if they would be happy grandparents to your child. they don't have to like the boyfriend to love your child.
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Well I guess you just have to sit them down and tell them that your pregnant, explain your plan to do with the baby rather you plan to keep him or her or give up for adoption.
    I'm not sure what else to tell you cause I don't know if your parents are the strict or easy going type.
    Lizzie32390

Answer by Lizzie32390 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I would just tell them. Sit them down, have people who you know are supportive of you with you, and then tell them you are pregnant. You can't control their thoughts, feelings, and actions. You can only control yours. Now that you are going to be a mother you need to be that child's mom from the beginning. Which means that talking bad about your baby's father is not an option. Your parents have a choice. They can either be supportive of you and this pregnancy and keep their negative feelings about your child's father to themselves...or they risk loosing their child and grandchild. Even if they feel you are making a huge mistake, it is your life lesson to make - not theirs. Listen to concerns they have, don't argue, but state clearly what you are doing and let them know they can support you or they can be a limited part of your life.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I agree that you BOTH need to sit down with your parents....if they already don't like him he will seem like a total spineless twit to them if he doesn't "man up" and deal with this. I might have someone else there that you trust as well. I can not imagine my daughter telling me this kind of news and not going totally ape crap at least as my initial response. I would of course love the baby though...it would just take time to get over the shock. I am not sure what my husband would do...that's why I said have someone else there too. It may deter the insane reaction that dad's have to boys getting their daughter's pregnant. That person could also call 911 if necessary. ;-)
    Anonymous

• I would pray first to prepare myself to be calm. Sit at the table, make some small talk, then out with it. I did this method to announce my last pregnancy and it was the only time my mom could manage to choke out a "congratulations". (no matter that it was my 8th time, and with my husband of 20+ years--I might as well have been a teenager!). I ask for God's grace, and He granted it. Phew!
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 1:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I gave my mom a picture frame. There was no picture, just a paper with "Coming this fall" on it.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2008