is this normal?

I have been really sick and my asthma has been acting up. I woke up this morning and could not breathe ( I was sucking in under my ribs) I had ran out of my inhaler so got desperate and took the same amount of albuterol liquid that my daughter takes (5 ml) I can now breathe, but and so shaky its not even funny. Even my legs are shaking. I do not get this affect from my albuterol inhaler. Is it because it was a liquid?

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Health

• I was put on pill form of it once and it did the same thing. I saw it as, with an inhaler it's going pretty much right into your lungs right? But a liquid or pill form have to go into your stomach then into your bloodstream, so you're going to feel it worse. Can you get your regular med refilled soon? The shakes may last all day too - I usually had to sleep them off.
    Anonymous

• Yes definitely! What type of medication was it? Some of the vials need to be mixed with Normal Saline. But, that is a normal affect of the medications regardless. Your body has probably just become adjusted to your inhaler, or it might not be quite as potent. When I take a breathing treatment, I have to be sitting down and I have to stay that way for a while. As a Respiratory Therapist, that is why we monitor vitals before, during and after the treatments.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It is a liquid suspension so you take it orally. My heart is racing, I feel light headed, and am shaking everywhere. Good thing is, I can breathe :) I was nervous to take the liquid because I think I am pregnant, but I figured breathing is a must and that not being able to breathe would be worse on the baby. Do you think it will do harm to the baby if I am? I am now nervous about it.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It was liquid albuterol suspension
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011