what do you do when other mothers feel superior to you and give you parenting advice???

that is the most annoying thing ever. i have a friend whos son is just a few days younger than my little boy. and whenever we get together for play dates, all she does is brag about how great her little boy is and that she showed him how to do this, and he does that and then advises me on how i can get my little boy to do the same thing. ugh, im so sick of her. who gave her the authority on parenting. and she is no one to give advice. and she doesnt stop, she keeps going and going on and on and on... even in MY own home. what do you ladies do in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think she's probably just proud and excited. All advice no matter where it comes from is take it or leave it. Just tell her that you are happy for her, but you have your own ways of doing things.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 12:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My sister has plenty of advice to give to me about raising my kids but she usually waits until I ask, and then tells me all the things I should have been doing. So it is not unwarranted but sometimes harsh.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I just grin and nod =o) I take whatever I can use and ignore the rest. If someone is trying to 'teach' me to get my son to 'do a new trick', I just reassure them that my son will do it when he's ready!

ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Or you can always tell her she has such great parenting advice she should do a parenting book. Probably a little on the sarcastic side. I'm guessing you do like some things about her or other wise you wouldn't keep torturing yourself with having her over. You could casually ask her about how she feels when other people give her unsolicited parenting advice...when she hasn't just given you any. You can pipe in and say you think that you like suggestions from time to time when you ask for it. Or you can grin and bear it. Or you can tell her you admire that she is such a good parent but you have choosen to do things differently with your child. Each time she tells you parenting tips keep using that line. It gets so old after awhile that she will stop.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I ignore them!! All kids are different and don't let her comparisons bother you! I sometimes find it a bit amusing.... new moms give me advice on little things, like how to feed my baby. I have 3 others. I think I have the little stuff figured out! Its the issues I've never dealt with before that I could use advice on, but they haven't dealt with it either, usually!
    Anonymous

• I tell them that it is my kid, and it is great that their child is doing that. But I really don't care
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• She probably doesn't see how she's making you feel. She's probably so excited that her son is doing this and that, she just wants to share them with you... and of course then your son could do it and YOU'LL be all excited. All the more for you to talk about! lol. Seriously though, just let it roll... I'm sure she's not doing it to make you feel bad.
    Doximama

Answer by Doximama at 1:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2008