I'm 19 years old & i am 11 weeks pregnant i have been with my boyfreind for almost 8 months and i dont know whats the best way to tell my parents about the baby

july_21

Asked by july_21 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Be honest. tell them asap. Its better they hear it from you before someone else tells them. Congrats :)
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• just tell them. you're an adult now so it's not like you can get in trouble. i don't know what you and your boyfriend are planning but if you have a plan for this baby, such as financially then share it with your parents. they will feel better knowing you have a plan and have your stuff together. just make sure to stick to it. congrats! i was 19 when i got pregnant with my first too, my parents (especially my dad) took it a hell of a lot better than i thought they would.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• lol i had the same dilemma with my first, but the hospital sent my appt reminders to their house because of course i was living there at the time and they went through my mail and found out on their own. they were really upset but they got over it! honestly just sit down and tell them, they might be mad for a while but they'll get over it
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Just sit them down and tell them, be prepared for any reaction but then give them some time to think things through. My parents reacted pretty negatively for the firth couple weeks, but then were really supportive and excited- good luck!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Be honest..hopefully they will be happy and supportive for you right off but be prepared for them to not be just in case... give them time to get used to the idea...be patient and dont get mad if they react this way! They will come around and hopefully be supportive and helpful to both you and your boyfriend! GL
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 3:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You will have to tell them something soon.It depends on what kind of people they are.My last was an oops.I was 34 and not married.I told my mom she would be a grandma on more time.and I love my son dearly and never have regretted him.If they get upset, it will go away when they see the baby after it is born.No baby is an accident.They are meant to be here for a reason.Just don't know what the reason is yet.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Well I am going to make the assumption that you are thinking they are not going to be very happy about the pregnancy. Sorry if I am wrong.

I would personally wait until you hit 14 weeks if you can. I know my mom could always tell almost instantly because we spend so much time together, I'm fairly petite, and I instantly get very strong aversions to certain scents.

Your best bet, imho, is to do it like removing a bandaid. Get them both together, have your boyfriend with them and just say it.

My mom seemed upset when I told her I was pregnant with my first and I was married so I know the anxious sick feeling that comes with it. lol

If you are looking for fun ways to tell them just correct me and I will help you. Like I said I am making assumptions since I know my mom would have been P*SSED if I was pregnant before being married.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• thanks for all the advice we are planing on having our baby and moving inn together and telling my parents this week hopefully everything will go okay
    july_21

Comment by july_21 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Maybe the first thing is if you and bf are going to stay together,and work regarding stuff like where are you both going to live , does he has a steady job and maybe talk about marriage? because that is all that your parents are going to ask , if that is solved already then BOTH go to your parents maybe invite them to have dinner they might not be happy at first but If they see that you both are acting more like adults they might be less freak out. If your bf bails and you have to tell them that you are going to be a single mom then the only thing that you can do is to tell them and let them know what you have decided regarding your life even if they are mad the grandchild will change them
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The reason your parents might flip is because they are, more than anything, worried about you, and now, their grand baby. If you and your boyfriend have a plan, put it on paper and show them how exactly you plan to take care of this baby. Also, in the event you and your boyfriend break up, a plan for how YOU alone will be taking care of the child.
    My DD wasn't planned and i was nervous about telling them. My dad was ok with it and my mom freaked out. Now my dd is 19 months and both my parents love her and couldn't imagine life without her.
    No matter what their reaction, it doesn't change anything. If they get mad, let them. It doesn't change the fact that you are pregnant. And they will come around, hopefully. If they don't, just focus on you and your baby. Thats all that matters.
    Good luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2011