How do I make baby food?

I want to make baby food for my 5 month old daughter. Anyone know how I go about doing this? I will be using a food processor.

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anything that you may cook during breakfast, lunch, or dinner you can use the food processor to prepare the babies food. Be sure to process it really well. If you cook potatoes that may be all he/she wants.....
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Steam your fruits and veggies, peel off the skins then mash them up. Don't boil them...you lose all the nutrients that way.

If you want them to be smoother, add some breastmilk, formula, or a little whole mile yogart.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• That should be whole MILK yogart.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I usually choose two or three kind of vegetables. Get a pot, put water in it, boil the water, put the vegetables in it until they are soft. Pour the water into the sink. Put the vegetables into a mixer, mix it properly, smooth. Serve it warm(ish). Yumyum:P

Recipes: - half banana, half carrot

- half banana, half apple

- half carrot, half apple

- sweet potato, carrot/banana/apple

- butternut squash, sweet potato

- after a time around 7 month you can mix nearly any kind of veggies with any kind of fruits

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My daughter was four months when I started making the baby food for her. I was feeding her baby food from the jar but then she had a severe allergic reaction to one of the ingredients found in the baby food jar which I didn't realize was in the food in the first place. So, after having a scare like that, I refused to use jarred baby food after that. You need to cook the food till it's soft and can be pureed very well since as you know a baby that small has no teeth to chew the food so it needs to be as smooth as possible so they don't choke. And you need to offer small amounts a couple of days to ensure that your baby isn't allergic to that particular food.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks! She pretty much eats anything, but baby food is so expensive!
    hornz102485

Comment by hornz102485 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• DO NOT: give new type of food straight away to her in big dose. Put some one her mouth and wait for 24 hours. If she has a food allergy, her mouth will be red and she will produce more allergy symptoms. Do not give her the food what she has an allergy for. It won't go away. It will get worse and it can lead to anaphylaxis.

DO NOT give her normal potato until 9 month, milk until 1 year. And be really really careful with the fish and eggs. These are the high allergy risks ones.

When she start to have her first teeth you can leave some veggie pieces in the food (still soft ones). Babies usually enjoy chew them apart:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Go to www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    my pedi recomended this website, It has lots of useful information and also tells you what foods to start at different ages.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• For purees, either steam or bake foods that are not soft enough to puree on their own. Many foods can be mashed with a fork too, banana, avocado, baked sweet potato...also, consider NOT pureeing, just cutting these foods into VERY small pieces and let her learn to self feed. I would wait until about 6 mos to do that, because I do not recommend solids before that age, so if you are doing solids before 6 mos, I would feel more comfortable with them being pureed or fork mashed well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Make sure when you first start feeding your baby you feed just one food at a time for a few days to watch for any allergic reactions.
    tallamanda

Answer by tallamanda at 6:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011