Blessed? Post for those over 40 ....

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 & 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ..... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.

So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).

(Gleaned from an email received from a friend - I can't claim authorship ...)

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• I agree with a lot of that. Turning 50 in March. And like my life more now then I did when I was younger.

Answer by louise2 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• That was Wonderful & I cried! Thank you for sharing!!! Have a great night! :) BTW, I'm 43 and just found out that I am pregnant after having to do IVF to have my Son after I was married 13 years. Now it's 18 years and a big surprise! LOL! You never know what life has in store for us that's why I have mellowed, humbled & I'm open to new experiences every day!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• nice.

but 40 isnt old.

although I like the sentiment... I want that same sentiment when Im actually old (80s) so I will chide myself over the cookie, and keep up with my waist line... the rest I reallllly like - thanks.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for sharing. I turn 40 this year and I wouldnt trade where I am now for anything. Now if I could look 20 with the wisdom of 40 thatd be great.

Answer by gemgem at 4:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I am 45 and feel better than I ever have in my life. I Rock!
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I like this alot. Thanks. And yes I am over 40.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 4:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• when you hit 53yrs body fall just lower then you want it to be
    you think of front end loader to hold your boob's one to hold ass up
    to be forgetful is pleasure if i can't remember today i will remember tomorrow
    my house looks clean to me if no like they can do it
    yes i love wearing bathing suit with all my rolls but to have kids that price i pay
    my hubby still looks at me when i young
    i might no go on for hrs in bed with him but 2min longer then most
    i rather have back rub then sex and even thou i color my hair to hide the gray
    only i know my true age i love to keep them guessing
    but most of all i am woman strong and powerful i can move mountains
    inside i am hot baby lumps and bumps on out side dame i good on in side with all my flass
    i just can't wait till i am 60 i will have more
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Very nice, thank you for sharing!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Beautiful! I will look at my gray hairs, wrinkles, and belly much differently now! Thanks so much!
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 7:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thank you! I needed this.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 8:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2011