• In the Spotlight:

name help please for a tabby cat

My son and I are adopting a tabby cat. She is about a year old and loves to cuddle. What are good names for her? I like Maddie but my son and friends do not.

Thanks everyone after playing with her today we decided on Nala. She just  kept reminding me of the lioness from Lion King.

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 4:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pets

• Ok gotcha!

Yeah my SO (stupidly) fed one small stray female outside our house once (I named her Little Bit cause she was so petite) and yeah she told allllll her friends so soon we had:
    Little Bit / Tiger / Big Tom / Sheba / Snowball / and a few random stop bys that weren't "regulars"...it was crazy! LOL But each of them earned their name for some physical trait or habit etc...

I had a white cat w/ grey stripes that reminded me of a white tiger so he was named after a 'famous model tiger' Raja; and a fairly new tabby I let the kids name Jaguar (from Diego LOL) etc...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If she's a year old does she not already respond to a name?

I usually have to meet an animal before I can name it...give it a day or two and a name will come to you all naturally out of some strange habit or 'look' the cat has Enjoy the snuggles =)

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Just wanted to say that is so cute that you are going to visit her! So happy for you both (or I guess I should say all 3 of you) LOL
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 10:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't like cats or dogs named people names...

We had a tabby who had an orange feather of colour just on her nose and decided that since it was orange, we'd call her Pekoe (like orange pekoe tea)... but we have a Stumpy (short tail, a stray we found in the yard and named before we ended up keeping her), a black cat named BC (for black cat), a calico named C-fer (c for calico) and a tabby/siamese cross called Ayo (after the goddess of the moon, Io, but not spelled the same way because the owner/child didn't like it).

We just discussed how Ping would be a good name for a siamese tom... and Min-min is an asian-sounding feminine name for a girl kitty.

Tiger's a bit obvious for a striped cat, but Prison sounds weird enough for a cat name (I've known one cat and one dog named Prison)... or Prism because it sounds like it, but more girly...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Cuddles?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• well then, What does your son want to call him? YOU culd still call him cuddles even i your sone manes him differentyly.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Chef he wants to name her cracker fairy, it's the name of his teddy bear.
    sandbuster

Comment by sandbuster (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• beach: yes she does, sorta she was a stray so the shelter named her but she does not know the name. Thanks for the suggestion
    sandbuster

Comment by sandbuster (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I prefer calling animals real names.. How about Molly, Mandy, Millie, Tabby (short for tabitha), Tilly, Tessa, Bella...

Im just trying to think of names that i like that are kind of simiar to maddie!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 6:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Here are some cute names: Abigail (Abby for sort, cute because Abby the Tabby!) , Carmen, Chloe, Sophie. Hope this helps give you ideas. It's really great you are adopting a cat in need of a home!!

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2011