When should I be worried about my son's speech?

My 3yr old son is quite a chatter box in 1-2 word sentences. He is still not speaking in full sentences beyond that. He also leaves off letters, usually in the front of the word. He says "erkle" for circle of "ickle" for pickle. I don't think that he has a learning disability because he learns very quick, I have been teaching him how to read words about two months ago and he can read about75 words. When should I be worried?

jen2774161

Asked by jen2774161 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like my daughter and she is now in a speical preschool to help her talk. Look it Early Invention they will help him with his speech and its free by the state no matter what your income is. They work with your child to get them to speak clearly and get them reading for school.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• He might need speech therapy. My son started speech when he was 4. He is now 7 and is doing great. His speech therapist said he will most likely only need 1 or 2 more years of speech.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 4:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Now is the time to address a speech problem. If he does have a problem and you wait until kindergarten he will be behind from day one. The earlier a problem is detected and addressed the better.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Call your school district and ask to talk to their Child Study team. Your son is definitely behind for his age. I personally feel that earlier intervention is better mostly because, as others pointed out, at this age the kids are too young to know there's anything different. Many school systems (most perhaps?) have integrated preschool programs that include kids with developmental delays (i.e. largely speech) as well as "general education" kids. It's a great environment to help address these type issues before kindergarten. My son was in Early Intevention until 3 then moved to the school based program. Both were wonderful ways to help him in areas where he was lagging. Keep in mind that speech delays have nothing to do with overall ability. Since these programs are tailored to individual needs/abilties, your child can also be fast tracked in learning to read if he's ready.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I had a speech problem and waiting till he gets into kindergarten and grade school is a huge mistake. I remember growing up I was teased non stop because I couldnt talk like a normal kid my age even the teachers poked fun at me in front of the class. Doing something know will help a lot and may get him on the right track.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Take to his Dr about it. Then the two of you can decide what is best to do. If he does need help you do not want to wait too long. My oldest has speech delay. Everyone I knew said don't worry till she is in Kindergarten. If we had done that she would be so behind and struggling.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The family Dr. can refer you to a speech therapist for some testing. Has he had ear tubes? Sometimes w/ frequent ear infections, it's like they're hearing under water. Hope all works out for you & your son.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You can call the elementary school that he will go to and they can do an evaluation for you or you can contact Early Childhood Intervention.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 4:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• *now
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would inquire now why wait when if there is anything wrong the sooner you catch it the better outcome it will have.

Answer by older at 4:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011