Isn't this the best opportunity for Christians to connect with their Holy Day?

After all the kerfuffle about the commercialization and secularization of the Christian holy celebrations of Christ's birth, would this give the best opportunity for a commercial-free, otherwise culturally-ignored period of peace and faith for the season? A friend on FB posted this:

We will keep ours up [the Christmas tree] until next Sunday when we celebrate (liturgically) the baptism of the Lord (Mt 3:13-17) which marks the official end of the Christmas Season in the Catholic Church.

Which made me think of it...

Christmas begins Christmas Day, and runs for 12 days, totally ignored by the Santa Claus festival of gluttony and shopping... So while everyone else is suffering from burnout and empty bank accounts, why not 'take back' the other 11 days of the holiday, culminating in Epiphany (12th Night), or the following Sunday?

It could begin with a re-naming of the 1st day: Christ's Mass... which is what it originally was, yes?

Thoughts?

LindaClement

Asked by LindaClement at 4:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Why are people thinking this is ONLY a Catholic thing? Yes I am Catholic and we have done similar things. Basically, I take down all our decorations except for the nativity scene. The wise men spend most of the time wandering around to different places in the house, getting closer and closer to Jesus. But my mother is Presbyterian and she was raised celebrating in similar ways. Honestly, I think it's only certain Protestant denominations in America who don't celebrate epiphany.

I do think it would end a lot of the whining about taking Christ out of Christmas by some Christians if they were to take part in the 12 days of Christmas as well. But what the heck do I really know?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Catholics weren't the only ones that celebrated the epiphany. My family was Presbyterian. The traditions varied slightly between differing denominations but overall most Christians (in germany) celebrated the Epiphany in one form or another.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Why do people keep commenting on not being catholic so they don't celebrate this. This is not strictly a Catholic tradition.. Is it because Catholics are the only ones they've heard of who celebrate it in the United States?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Where do you think the song the 12 Days of Christmas come from?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 7:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Catholics are not the only people who have these kinds of traditions.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Cool- now I have an even better excuse for not getting to that project yet! And justifiably so! :) (Sorry, not making light of things- and I actually learned something today- so thank you. )
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• my church is also doing this... well not with the tree since we dont have one but with celebrating Christmas for 12 days after :)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• that might work for Catholics but not all Christians believe 100% the same way
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My family used to do this, there are several different traditions that follow such as writing the names of the 3 wisemen in chalk above the doorway along with the year. The Epiphany cake, Star singers, etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• That sounds really interesting, KristiS11384... is there any reason you know of that you stopped? Or did it just fade away?
    LindaClement

Comment by LindaClement (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011