Sewers/Quilters - How big is your fabric stash?

I find myself buying fabric, just because it's pretty and I have a coupon or it's on sale.

sewing

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 5:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I thought it was called a Fabric Museum?!

That's what a friend called hers, and so ours got re-named, too... it's a 6' high set of wooden storage shelving that is 10' long... along one wall in the playroom/art studio/sewing room. And about 1/4 of it now lives at my daughter's house!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I just have about 30 yards of different fabrics. It has also been a long time since I have been to a fabric store! I took a break from quilting for my violin.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 5:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Not a quilter, but a sewer. Dressmaking, to be specific. I have about 3 cuts of fabric for specific patterns that I hope to make sometime in the next decade, and a steam trunk about half full of reasonable sized scraps from previous projects. Not sure why I keep them all since I'm sure I'll never use them!
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 5:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I used to buy so much fabric. Even now, if I'm at Jo-Anns I find myself looking at all the fabric and picking out ones I would love to stash but I haven't quilted in 4 or 5 years. I just don't have the space any more and with 5 kids it's too much of a time consuming hobby. makes me sad that my younger 2 kids don't have homemade quilts like my older 3 did. Of course I took up knitting and crocheting since then so they do have a bunch of hats and sweaters.
    My stash is all packed up and I was able to squish it into 2 or 3 boxes I think. I means... really squished in there. It used to be in several plastic drawer units that were overflowing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'm a fabric hoarder. There's a lot. I mean, A LOT.
    KelsJez

Answer by KelsJez at 6:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I sew for a living so, uh, yeaaaaah, I have a LOT of fabric. I have about 25 full and partial bolts, an entire shelving unit of end yardage, 2 rolls of bamboo on their way and about 4 big rubbermaid totes of scraps that are big enough for small projects.

We had to buy a house so my sewing would have a room of its own (it now takes up 1/4 of our basement and I'm getting a little cramped in there...)
    LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 7:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have two big boxes and I still buy scrap pieces at walmart....also yard sales! LOL I make bears, dolls, and purses.....
    jlaney

Answer by jlaney at 11:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2011