How old should your child be to pierce more than their ears?

My half sis was 15 when she got her belly button pierced, & I have seen Jr. High age girls w/ noses pierced. (Not judging here) but just wondering how old you would want your child to be before they do something like that?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ears 12,and no others until they are old enough to do it on their own.tongue piercing s are bad for you.You can loose your tongue!!That plaque that forms on your teeth now will get into there too,and its bad news.Ask any Dentist,they will tell you how bad it can be .I did not encourage my kids to get anything done,and i would never take them or sign for them to mark an otherwise perfect body.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Old enough not to need my approval.......

Answer by older at 5:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• 18--then they don't need me to sign for it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• lol 18
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 5:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Depends on the parents. But for me it was 18.

Answer by louise2 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My daughter was 14 and got her belly button pierced. I took her to get it done when she asked to make sure she went to a licensed place and didnt have some friend do it. My son was 14 when he got his nose and lip done. I dont have a problem with piercings because they can be taken out and healed up. Tattoos are a whole other ball game.

Answer by gemgem at 5:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• MAYBE when they are adults and can pay for it and deal with the risk of infection and disfiguring scar tissues. There is no way in helll I would approve of any piercings other than earlobes. And the earlobes only when the kid was old enough ....at least 10.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• In my house~ 18.

I disagree with "a hole is a hole" because the piercing is meant to draw attention to the the pierced location. Why have a cute little belly button ring only to cover it up? I don't want my daughters calling attention to anywhere other than their ears until they're old enough to understand and deal with (in a mature, well-informed fashion) everything that goes with it. As for nose rings, eyebrows, lips, etc... I would probably base those on the level of interest & go from there, but more than likely it would wait until they're 18 anyways.
    CrunchyCarol

Answer by CrunchyCarol at 10:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Since I am planning to send my DD to all private schools, she will have to wait until she graduates high school. Even if we sent her to a public school. She would have to wait until she graduated or achieved a 4.0 or above for at least a year before she could get it done, and all I'm willing to consider is her nose while she is living in my home. But once she moves out, it's up to her and i support her. I have had many piercings, and have tattoos myself, but i got them all after I graduated and left for a university, out of respect for my parents and their rules.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I just asked my SO and he said "she has to be 18 to do it. Period." haha
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2011