Is your child afraid to go upstairs alone?

I can't figure out what's so scary about the upstairs- and it's not just our house, it's anywhere. Has your child done this- and if so, for how long? What age did it stop?  (*My dau is 8 y/o & will sleep up there- but to go up to get a toy or go potty- no)

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• OMG, there are some houses I am afraid of going upstairs. It is just a feeling that someone is watching me from there or I am not alone. I lived some places when I only went places with full lights on (not like it would help against ghosts or something lol.). In our house now I am 100% sure I am safe and I can go anywhere without being afraid of something. But sometimes still get this silly goosebumps on my back.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 5:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• When I was little I was afraid to go downstairs at my house even though most of the family lived down there. I would just feel evil when ever I would go down there. To be honest it never stopped, till this day I hate going in my dads downstairs. Of coarse I do but I wont stay down there for long.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• How old is she/he?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Oh great- so from what you're saying- I will be dropping whatever I'm doing & escorting her to the BR until she moves out! Thanks ladies :0 -LOL
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My 5 year old son is afraid to go downstairs (finished basement) alone...we call him chicken little...it drives us nuts! my 3 year old goes down there with out a problem.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Nope. We don't have an upstairs anymore but we did at my dad's house. The older 3 kids had their room up there and none of them gave it a second thought. Even my youngest daughter (whose room was on the 1st floor). She routinely went up there to use the bathroom (there was no bathroom on the main floor) and hang out with my dad in his room. She learned to use the stairs alone at like 20 months and ever since then went up and down as she pleased.
    She did have problems with the basement stairs, though, because they are open in the back. I remember having that same fear as a kid but my aunt's stairs had nothing under them. Ours had a bunch of junk under them making falling absolutely impossible. She was 4 before we convinced her she would NOT fall going up and down them (through the basement was the way to get out the back door).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:12 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Some adults as well as children have a sort of equal librium problem about stairs.Its a balance thing,or a heights.And some just feel a bit weird about it.Don't worry.They will out grow it.most do.But if you are afraid of heights,stairs can bother you too .
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Try putting a light at the to of the stairs, maybe she's afraid of the darkness. Who knows, I was scared of our basement.. still am. My mom just made me go down there. Never got over it tho
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 7:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2011