another teething question

have heard to alternate Tylenol and Motrin for teething pain/discomfort at night. How often do I do this?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go by the dosing on the bottle or try alternatives if u don't ant to give your baby a lot of medicine.
    jenniferreser

Answer by jenniferreser at 5:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• sorry....let me give more details. How many hours go between each. As in, if I give Tylenol first, how long before I give Motrin. I know the idea is to have both in their system at the same time because one relieves pain, the other is an anti-inflamatory
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You can give the tylenol and the Motrin at the same time FOR THE FIRST DOSE. Then you need to follow dosing instructions as in Tylenol every 4-6 hours and Motrin every 6-8 hours.
    PLEASE DO NOT GET CONFUSED, as if you use this method it can be very easy to OVERDOSE your child.
    I have only done this for severe fevers and I would keep a chart with the times, the medication, and the dose to make sure I was ok with the dosing.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• wait atleast an hour. so for example if you give her tylenol at 9pm, and she's still in pain, give her motrin at 10pm. then you can give the tylenol 4-6 hours from 9pm, and the motrin 6-8 hours from 10pm. you still have to wait the recommended period of time to give another dose of the same medicine. but you can alternate the two within an hour.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I was told to give tylenol, wait 3 hours, give motrin, wait 3 hours, tylenol, etc... If he/she doesn't have a very big fever, then you should probably wait longer than 3. Good luck. My little one is teething right now, too.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2011