my son has breath holding spells, anyone else go through this?

okay, my son is 18 months old and he has breath holding spells. and what i mean by that is when he gets hurt, mad, scared, or upset and starts to cry he wont breathe in and he starts to turn blue and his body goes limp..
does anyone have any advice about what i can do to make this stop?

wyattsmommy6509

Asked by wyattsmommy6509 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Blow in his face and he will stop holding his breath.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• that doesn't work...it used to but not anymore
    wyattsmommy6509

Comment by wyattsmommy6509 (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Let him hold his breath. It sounds cruel, but the body is an amazing thing. He can't hurt himself too much by doing it, once he's held his breath to a certain point, he'll either get lightheaded and gasp or pass out. As long as he doesn't hit his head when he passes out, he'll be fine.

If it really bothers you, a quick tickle always got mine to laugh when they were pouting and pulling stunts.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You need to talk to his pediatrician and discuss other options, but from my experience you have to let them grow out of them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• my little sister used to do this, we blew in her fast even splashed her with water and it never worked, my mom took her to the doctors and the doctor said to let he do it, dont show any attention to her and if she passes out she will be fine, no my little sister was a baby too and it killed my mom to see her do it, but one time she did and my sister never did it again.
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My 2 yr old still does do this thing to. My brother used to it, so I didn't panic as bad as my husband did. But like the others said, if he holds his breath and he passes out, he will start breathing again. But if he starts having seizures take him in, but other then that and hes healthy, he will grow out of it by 3 or so.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• thank you all very much :)
    wyattsmommy6509

Comment by wyattsmommy6509 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011