Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

so i just had something really scary happen, and i need to know the correct procedure in this scenario please!

my 11 month old crawled up to me coughing and i realized she was choking. i was on the computer for 2 minutes to look up the phone number to the pizza place, she crawled off to the bedroom and obviously found something and put it in her mouth. she does this all the time, im constantly putting things away that my 4 and 2 year old leave around that i know she'll pick up and eat. she doesn't even hesitate, just shoves it in her mouth as if its food.

anyway, what i usually do first is try to make a "hook" with my finger and fish the item out. but whatever it was was already lodged in her throat.

here's the thing i need to know.

my instinct told me to pick her up and put her over my knee, facing downward, and pat her back. but that was not working, and when she caught her breath she started crying. she was drooling a lot too at this point, but her face was still red and not blue or purple. i put her down for a second to let her catch her breath, and then i held her upside down and pat her back some more. i was 2 steps away from calling 911 when she stopped the coughing. at that point she was just crying and pissed off. she must've swallowed whatever it was she picked up.

so when they choke are you suppose to hold them upside or facing down on your lap?

im so glad she's okay. she gave me a huge scare there! even after i pick up every piece and particle off the floor she always finds every little miniscule thing that i missed!

 
tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 43 (159,608 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • You did everything right mommy. I am so glad she is okay!
    mommy_of_two388

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

  • If she is coughing or crying, she was not choked yet.

    If it happens again and she is definately not breathing. Lay her on her back and take 2 fingers in the middle of her sternum and push down 1/4 to 1/2 inch several times.
    That is how you do infant hymlic(sp?) I would get to a class to learn more.
    Jademom07

    Answer by Jademom07 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

  • Breathe, mama, breathe. Babies explore the world at that age by putting things in their mouths, so this won't be the last time she puts something in her mouth that shouldn't be there.

    First off, reaching in to hook out whatever is there is a BAD idea unless you can easily see it (like it's on your baby's tongue) because you risk pushing the obstruction further back into the airway.

    As long as your baby can breathe, make noise, cry, then she's getting air. This means it's certainly important, but it's not life threatening yet. Laying her over your knee and patting her back may help, but I'd stress an infant first aid course, especially cpr and the Heimlich manouver. http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/firstaid/heimlichInf.shtml
    geminilove

    Answer by geminilove at 6:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

  • It would be great if they offered these classes at the hospital before you are discharged with your baby! I would have definitely taken advantage! I would have done the same thing you did. I'm glad she is okay!
    Kword

    Answer by Kword at 6:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

  • I think you did great. Although, I don't think they reccomend patting the back anymore. I think they think it caould cause the things to get in the lungs. If the child is still coughing and breathing I would keep trying the hook. Then try the himlick stuff.
    That being said, I think I would have done exactly what you did in an emergency. Whatever it takes in an emergency! Good Job MOM!!!
    dancinintherain

    Answer by dancinintherain at 6:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

  • Something good to know is that babies and young children's gag reflex is more sensitive, more towards the front of the mouth then an adults is. So, they will cough, gag, etc, before they choke, sooner then an adult would. Does this make sense? I know what I'm trying to convey here but I feel like I can't find the right words to describe it, and that its not going to make any sense to any of you.
    Krysta622

    Answer by Krysta622 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

  • Your insstinct was correct, however only do that when the child can't breath. And if it doesn't work, yes call 911. If they child is making any noise such as coughing, try to get it out with your finger or hold up their arms but do not try to force it out with them on your knee unless they ca not breath at all. I hope this helps!
    cinderellac1

    Answer by cinderellac1 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

  • You place a baby face down and give pats on the back to dislodge something. sounds like you did a great job not panicing!
    bugfin

    Answer by bugfin at 8:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2011


  • At this time I would be concerned about a possible bowel obstruction.Since you may not know what she swallowed I would give the Dr. a call.The object may have gone down but it may be stuck in the stomach or the intestines.
    Tikismom

    Answer by Tikismom at 10:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

  • thank you! this was a first for me after being a mommy for 4 years! im still pretty shaken up about it! although she has moved on to something else as if it never happened lol
    tnm786

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2011