I've had an IUD for 6 mos now. I had piercing pain in one area of my lower abdomen a few hours after sex. Could this be due to a shift in the IUD?

naynay1077

Asked by naynay1077 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Health

• It may be. I felt the very same pain and it was caused by the IUD cutting into me then again that was because my uterus was tilted
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Was it to the right of your belly button? Just a piercing pain? kind of cramp like but much sharper. It was really bad last night. It's still bothering me, just not as bad today. Was your IUD still in place though?
    naynay1077

Comment by naynay1077 (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yes. Mine shifted and got lodged in my cervix. DEMAND that the doc check it and give you and ultrasound to make sure it is placed right. my Gyno made me beg for 3 months to be checked. She isn't my gyno any more.

it keeps working even if it is out of place. it just hurts like holy hell.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It was pain more towards the ovaries. I had to have it removed.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i had my iud put in after my first born...come to find out tht almost time to get it removed that it was lodged into my uterine wall and i had to have it sergically removed,i experienced those same pains after sex as well when i had it in.and it ended in that result..get it checked out! i know a few people that have had it surgically removed as well.i will never get it again
    babymamma123

Answer by babymamma123 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• the dr had the nerve to ask me if i wanted a new one put since they were going to be down there any ways...hahah no! they must be crazy
    babymamma123

Answer by babymamma123 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• This is what I started experiencing when I developed an infection from the IUD. You need to get it checked out. It could even be that it ruptured something.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• they told me that if i would have waited any longer,it could have migrated into my body outside of my uterus
    babymamma123

Answer by babymamma123 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It's possible. I would absolutely get a US to confirm the location of IUD
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Oh, and when mine was not in the proper place (it was in my cervix, I had no idea) I was told that I was NOT protected anymore. Right now, until you know what is up, I would not trust it as BC, and use a backup method if you have sex.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011