Advice on bedtime for a 2 year old

My son could be up all day with no nap, and still won't go to sleep until 9 or 10 o'clock at night. He just won't go to sleep before that time on any night. Anybody have any advice for any earlier? Also, he won't go to sleep by himself. I spoiled him as a baby and now I have to lay with him every night for him to fall asleep. Any ideas how to break that bad habbit?

bradyensmama

Asked by bradyensmama at 6:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try sitting next to his bed in a chair, then slowly move the chair further away each night until you are outside of his room and eventually he won't need u there....if it works. I've never tried this (bc I didn't have to) but I have heard from several others that it works. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks..yea I have heard of that to, but hes in a big boy bed he can get out of, so its kind of hard..hope i can figure something out:) Thanks!
    bradyensmama

Comment by bradyensmama (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Maybe if you start waking him up earlier in the morning he will go to sleep earlier also. My son wakes up at 730 (its a god awful time I know!) And goes to sleep around 8 or 830. Also I used to rock him to sleep then put him in his bed and then I started rocking him in his bed until I would just rub his back in his bed. I didthat until he just started getting in his bed on his own. I'm sure that's of no help to you, but I eased him into going on his own. Because I too spoiled my first child and would hold and rock him until after he was asleep lol. He's 21 months now and on a pretty good night schedule. Oh also I just started putting my son in bed earlier. He didn't have to go to sleep but he had to be in there earlier than his prior 1030 bed time.
    Nicolenew

Answer by Nicolenew at 7:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• He might be too tired if he isn't napping. Try a bedtime routine. I do bath, brush teeth, clean room, read a few books, sing a couple songs, cover up tight. My 2 year old rarely cries or anything. He takes a 1-2 hour nap everyday, also.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 7:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Try waking him up earlier...although my dd is going through the same thing, and doesn't go to bed until midnight or later..and she's back up at 8 with no nap..she too was spoiled as a baby, and still falls asleep with us, and we'll move her to her bed after that...but we're also having issues with her sleeping through the night...if waking him up earlier doesn't work, then his bio clock might just be telling him that bedtime isn't until then. You could always try getting in a routine (if you're not already on one) so that he knows when bedtime is. Good luck! I know it's tough, but hang in there!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 7:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011