Why are kids being allowed to "opt out" of P.E. classes?

Seems counterproductive to me ~

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-12-14-physed14_ST_N.htm

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in

• Some have medical reasons why that cant be in a PE class other then that if you dont have a medical condition all kids should be forced to take a PE class
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I dont know but mine arent. I know in HS it is REQUIRED to have PE courses. I think its a good thing. The more important question is why would a parent have their child opt out?

Answer by gemgem at 6:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• To me I think this is why America has an obsesity problem!
    trublonde130

Answer by trublonde130 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• *gasping for air*...*gasp* "my *gasp* PE *gasp* te- *gasp* teacher *gasp* just made me... *gulp* made me... *gasp* run 5 feet...*long inhale...*, i fell, *gasp* and scraped *gasp* my knee" <----LAWSUIT!! that's why! and then the mommy brings them to McDonalds for a burger, fries and ice cream to cheer him up.

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Who knows why but I know around here they can Opt out for most the the Senior High years 9-12th. And we wonder why everyone is obese
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i think as long as they don't have a medical problem they should be taking them.
    angela.bouchard

Answer by angela.bouchard at 6:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• LOL @ armywife! Don't forget the apple pie! When I was in HS, it was required to go to PE, if not we failed. Only time it wasn't required was when u reach 12th grade., Now days though, I think some of the reason with kids wanting out of PE is the fact if they had to change into gym clothes. And if that kid is already over weight, it makes it worse when ther others are laughing and pointing at them and make pig noises. So someone should ask that kid why he/she wants out of PE, that could also be the reason. It was the problem I had. But niow when we have our 20th school reunion I got and I am gonna flaunt it!! heheheheheh!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The way academics are going, highschoolers are probably given the option of optingout because states require more academics than ever before. Every year of high school I took 8 classes a year! That's 32 courses in 4 years folks. I think it's ok to get rid of p.e honestly because there are going to beoverweight kids regardless. P.E. wont change that, never has and never will. The fact is that wether or not that kid is in p.e. that is overweight wont change his/her lifestyle. He/she will still eat junk and not put a lot of effort into p.e. most likely. That's like saying Biology should be required...ok but the students who were lazy before it was required still will be. Kids should be active when they come home for the day and on weekends. P.E. isn't a fix-all. It wont change what a kid eats. Wont make a kid proper weight. Honestly, looking at the U.S. test scores, it needs to be axed and academics need to be the ONLY priority.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• so you're saying we should have a bunch of overwieght smart people?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Nope, unless there is a medical reason to not have PE. PE is required in my son's high school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2011