How do you bond with your 8 year old daughter? (don't just say spend time with her please:-) )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, you do have to spend some time with her in order to bond, but pick out an activity she enjoys and share it with her, even if it is not exactly your cup of tea!

Answer by older at 6:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• have fun with her.do something she enjoys to do with her.Heck act like a kid again with her.Sorry if it sounds like spend time with her.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 6:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My DD is 12 and we do origami, sew, watch movies, go for walks wioth the dogs, or ride bikes. When I go to the store she comes with me most of the time and puts her thoughts into what we should have for dinner some nights.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 6:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I think bonding with your child takes place when you actually show a genuine interest in your child by helping with homework, helping them with their hair, making a fuss over them when they are ill, going to school events, and making them feel wanted where they are glad you are a part of their lives. All the little things that Mom's do for their children on a daily basis is part of the bonding process.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Find an activity that you two can do together that you both enjoy, you really can't bond with her without spending time together.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I think you really have to show an interest in who she is and what she is made of. I love being with my daughter we talk and go places, make things, go to the movies. I am always teaching her something somewhere along the road. I think it just starts with showing an interest in her. Dance, sing to songs. Spend time with her.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Try to sit back and remember what it was like being her age.....what you felt....things you thought about boys, life, fun, etc.....then try to figure out something you two enjoy doing......but I agree with the other moms...you have to spend time together to bond...but try to make it enjoyable for BOTH of you and it shouldnt be work at all...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Sometimes it is hard to find the time that you feel you need in order to bond. Whether it be work, family, school, etc. something is always going on. With my busy brood, I find that one on one even just for a bit works wonders. For instance, twice a month my dear hubby sleeps on the couch and my 10 yr old daughter & I have a mini slumber party. We sit in my bed, watch a movie, talk, do makeovers, eat stuff we shouldn't and be total goofballs. She loves it! Plus, I get some time to be a kid again!
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 7:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The best bonding my daughters and I have is our reading time. We get a book that both kids will enjoy, usually one that is above their reading level, and I read it aloud to them, stopping to explain things that are over their heads. Not only is it a great bonding experience, but they really learn when we do this.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have an 8 yr old boy and just the other day we broke out the book Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing a book I enjoyed at about that age . We are reading it together and enjoying the snugle time as well as getting some readng time in for school. we are both loving these last few days and gives us that one on one time... we also do date nights wher we goto the mall and walk around and goto his choice of dinner he loves this time
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 7:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011