Swearing

My 10 year old says that she doesn't like where she sits on the bus, because everyone around her is swearing. She wants me to call the bus driver, who just happens to be her grandma, and ask her to let her change seats. The problem that I have is that about a month ago she was allowed to change seats because the girl she was sitting with and her didn't get along. She is only on the bus for 10 minutes anyway. I have told her to ignore the swearer, but she says she has tried that and that she has asked them to stop swearing around her, but it didn't work. My daughter has talked to the bus driver (grandma) about the swearing, but she hasn't done anything. Any suggestions on where I go now, or do I just let her tough it out?

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 6:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Talk to grandma yourself or take her to school. I'm feeling there maybe some underlying problems shes not telling you about. Good Luck
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The bus driver should be in charge of the bus. Sounds like grandma isn't.
    booksandhooks

Answer by booksandhooks at 7:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Either Grandma isn't managing the bus very well or your 10 yr old wants to show everyone that she gets special treatment since she is related to the bus driver.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I'd let her deal with it on her own for now. I'd also explain to her that you admire her values & understand why she is offended but that people are diverse & that although she may not agree with their "word choices" it's not something that can be forced on others & sometimes she'll just have to learn to tolerate.
    As she gets older it's only going to become more common & difficult if not impossible to avoid.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Sounds like "Grandma" isn't handling the bus very well.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2011