Doesn't it get tiring?

When your own family doesn't respect your beliefs or non beliefs (by that I mean when you don't believe the SAME as them)
How do you deal with it when it begins to be an issue you can't ignore? (as in they have to interject their idea of "belief" onto you whenever they can)

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• YES YES YES! I'm an Atheist and my in laws are always sending me religious stuff even when I ask them to stop. I don't throw my non beliefs in their face but they always throw their beliefs in my face. My so called mom calls me all sorts of names for not believing saying I'm a bad mom for not believing and not going to church. My kids can believe what ever they want, I'm not stopping them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i ignore it.. i come from a very religious family and was raised that way and ever since i was 8 years old i haven't been a part of their religion at all.. and they still talk to me like the things i'm doing are wrong because it's not a part of their religion (don't really want to go into detail so i don't offend anyone) and before my son was born my mom and i were talking and she said something about him being blessed in their church and talking about taking him because they take my sisters 2 kids and my sister doesn't go.. and you should have seen her jaw drop when i told her that he wouldn't be going. it's just one of those things, not everyone is going to think the same.
    angela.bouchard

Answer by angela.bouchard at 6:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My Mom gets upset that we don't go to church. Well I am a stay at home mom and sometimes our schedule is so crazy that when I have a break, I like to be on cafemom, facebook, read a book or take a nap.
    But my Mom just trys to convince me to drag uan unwilling family to church.
    I just tell her we do things differently here and no one has time to sin. LOL!
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 6:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I actually cannot comment on this because i do not have this issue. My family is very accepting of my beliefs. We even joke about it.(Especially since my sister sent us a cookbook that is full of Bible Scriptures when she knows we're atheists. It gave the family a good laugh at her expense becasue she doesn't pay attention to details liek that. She was more impressed with it being able to pop open and sit on the countertop.)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I fortunately don't have to deal with it face to face from family very often. On facebook, I happily use the "mark as spam" option every time friends or family take to proselytizing via the wall. It blocks that posting and any replies to it without having to block the people involved.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• clappingYES!!!! My ENTIRE, and I mean ENTIRE family is Christian - and nothing less. Sooo, Im definitely the blackest of the sheep in my family. Unfortunately that's why I have to stay away during holidays and family events. Who knew when I'd think for myself, instead of just accepting the norm that I would be casted out. All I can say is oh well, IM HAPPY!

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• oh well...if you want to keep some sort of peace, i guess it depends on who and how much attention you want to get out of it. just recently, a cousin of mine berated me on FB..no, told me i was 'gonna split hell wide open' (just ask hazeldove..she saw it!) because of..yep, you guessed it! ..my use of 'xmas'. i handled myself well, if i do say so. then just cut him off, and wished him 'happy holidays' for the heck of it.
    here's what i usually say to family members who attack for my differing beliefs/interpretations of scripture,ect. (yes, family members who are also XTIAN..heehee.): look, i'm 42yo. i can tie my own shoes so i don't trip, wipe my own butt without leaving pieces of tp 'behind', and i DO know how to read and comprehend the Bible. my salvation is just as assured as yours..even though i attend a different denomination church. NO WHERE in the Bible does it say baptepiscomethotyrians ..
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• ...(yes, i'm quite a blend, thanks to marrying outside my denom...the tragedy!!) aren't 'getting it right' or aren't 'getting into heaven' or 'really need to be saved' because they do things differently than the freewill baptists. (and i always thought it was the church of christ who thought no one else was getting into heaven..silly girl.)
    long story short..i am a grown woman. i just tell them to shut it, and like it, or just leave.

that's my story and i'm sticking to it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Not really. I just keep loving those that do not believe. They already know the truth and the choice is theirs. I do not hide my beliefs but I do not push it on them either. My dad is an atheist into new age stuff as well as his wife My uncle is into similar but is wife is a believer. An aunt who's husband is a retired pastor and many others.
    I have a huge portion of my family who are believers... mostly Presbyterian/ catholic/ other Very few of them are vocal about their faith. I have one cousin who is vocal like me.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Fortunately, my immediate family doesn't really care for religion. Like me, they are some sort of Christian (mostly Catholic), but they have other beliefs as well. Besides, I avoid my psycho mom at all costs, and never deal with them anyway.

However, my uncle is a complete and total fruitcake Bible Thumper (think Pat Robertson x100). Because I was raised (and still pretty much am) Catholic, he had a lot of nasty things to say to me and my family over the years. Finally, when I was 20, I basically told him to go screw himself and haven't talked to him since. I'm 41 now... and if the rest of my family has issues with what I believe, they sure as heck don't have the balls to say it to my face. That's fine by me.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011