Do you think home ec should be a required course?

I was talking with a friend about this, and we both think it would be good for it to be a required course, what do you think?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 7:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in

• No
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• YES men need to learn how to cook instead or rely on us women. I wish my husband took this class lol
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No, because some people just don't want to be domesticated goddess like I wanted to be LOL! Some people want to be other things
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yes I think it should be taught to everyone. Not everyone knows the basics of how to cook and so forth. It would not hurt anyone either. LOL It not only shows you how to cook, you learn about measuring and other things you will use in life.

apron

ErinsMomma1

Answer by ErinsMomma1 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It's not just learning to be a "domestic goddess". Home Ec teaches you how to make a resume and complete a job application, how to balance your check book, how to cook your own meals so that you don't live on Ramen or fast food, about STDs and their prevention, how to do your own laundry, etc - it's life skills.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• not really >.> and my hubby is the one that cooks
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 7:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't think it necessarily has to be. The parents should teach the child how to do the basics of running a home. My mom did a great job, except for cooking.. she never wanted us in the kitchen... EVER. So, I had to learn that all on my own. I made it a point to simply keep the kids active in all the chores including cooking. You can make it a point to teach, even without their knowledge that they are being taught.. if that makes sense. Involve them in purchasing food, utensils, laundry detergent, soap, etc. It works.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yes, I know I took every home Ec class I could take. Everything!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yep I think it would be great if they taught some of the basics to living on your own, including budgeting (i couldn't write a check when i moved out). Most parents do teach their kids these skills but some just baby their kids. My stepbrother is 16 and can't make ANYTHING for himself but maybe a bowl of cereal. Can't even turn on a washer! He's his mothers only child and she doesn't let him do anything for himself. I think a home ec class would have been perfect for him. There will NEVER be enough money in public schools for this to happen though.
    cincymom23

Answer by cincymom23 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• it used to be,and should be again. Some kids thesedays don't know how to do anything around the house!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011