how can i make my maltese/poodle mix stop barking when he see people

my dog is 2 years and he is really good, trained love kids, humans and dogs and even cats!! but when he see people outside walking he will start barking like crazy and when someone rings the bell too.. i dont know what to do!? he drives me crazy sometimes...

bryanmommy17

Asked by bryanmommy17 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pets

• my parents have a maltese and that is all that dumb dog does is bark i don't know it just must be in their blood but it is very nerve racking sorry i don't hve any advice for you but if you get it figured out pass it on to me please
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Practice. It is something that has to be trained just like any other trick. Try having someone ring your doorbell while you curb the dog, I trained mine to go to her bed when the doorbell rang. (I had a rottie and not a lot of people are comfortable being greeted by a snarling 120lb dog.) Eventually he should get it, if you have trouble this is something that a professional trainer should be able to handle in a few sessions. Good luck!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• When people walk by make sure your dog is on lead, even if it's in the house.When she barks go ahhahh and turn her around and go to another part of the house. Take her back to the door and repeat training. Keep this going till she sits in front of door and peeps walk by and she doesn't bark. Same with the door bell..ring go ahhahh and remover her away from the door.Keep this up till she gets it. It's a training thing and won't be easy cause those dogs love to bark, I know cause I have one. Took a wk to break him! Good luck.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2008