Can I open another bank account if I have one in the negative at a different bank?

After leaving my abusive ex, I lost my job. I ran into trouble with my bank account a few months ago and it's now in the negative ($500+). I will be starting a new job this week, but I need Direct Deposit information. If I give them my checking account number to the account that's negative, I won't get a paycheck for at least 6-8 weeks because it will go to fixing the balance.

Can I open a checking account at another bank if I already have one in the negative? (I plan to fix my negative account with my Income Tax Return - I won't leave it the way it is.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• As far as I know you can.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yes. But it might show up at the new bank. Depends on your credit and if it was reported.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• As far as I know no other bank will let you open one once the negative comes to light, and it will. I would suggest fixing the negative before you try to open another one elsewhere.

Answer by older at 8:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Fixing the negative is in no way possible right now. If I go without a paycheck for more than a month, I'll lose my apartment. I don't know what to do... I want to cry!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You probably could, however the longer you leave the negative account as it is, the worse the consequences. Some might also see this as an attempt to defraud the first bank. Are you in communication with the first bank? I'm surprised that bank has not taken some sort of legal action against you.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• probably not.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• do you HAVE to get direct deposit now? ask your employer if you can get paper checks until you are ready for direct deposit. also, they have the cards, like greendot where you can get your direct deposit loaded onto it without having a bank account. good luck to you.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I think once you open your new account your social security info (that you'll need to open your account and for direct deposit) will cross reference and your account will be flagged. The old bank would be able to garnish your new account to make your old account positive and then it will likely automatically close.

I think you're better off just cashing your new checks until you have enough money to deposit to your old account, bringing it up to a zero balance, and then closing it, if it doesn't automatically close. It shouldbe your first order of business. Your credit rating has already been negatively affected.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I had the account in good standing for two years prior to overdrawing it. I also had an overdraft limit of $500. I didn't intentionally overdraw it. I was receiving unemployment but my ex employer fought it and I lost the income... my ex wasn't paying child support and I had already written checks for groceries, rent and electric.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My husband did it years ago and eventually fixed the negative account. It doesn't hurt to try.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 8:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011