Does a cell-phone still emit radiation when not on a call?

I am curious because.......... my 2 year old son picked up his toy cell-phone that I got him about 2 years ago a few days ago and had been obsessed with it lately after not paying much attention to it for over a year. His father suggested I give him one of our old ones that still light up and stuff but cannot make calls or anything else. I did and he is having a blast with it!!! But than I started thinking about the radiation that is supposed to cause brain-damage from cell-phones, wondering and worried that some of that may still be coming through the phone. I Googled (and could not find a clear yes or no answer) it already, but I am just curious if any of you moms have an opinion or know anything further about this.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Technology

• I need some details please and thank you , like........ what do you mean by old ones? Also, I thought it would be clear from my comment "still light up and stuff" that I turned it ON for him because obviously a cell-phone that is turned OFF would not light up and therefore pose no risk. But I can already foresee him having it to his little ear for hours on end (if end is what u meant) everyday , if I let him!!!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• WTF????? can any of you people read? I am so fucking tired of posting a question where I give every possible relevant detail in the body of it and still receive questions regarding the same shit I have already answered. OMG, do any of you people have even half a fucking brain on this site anymore? This shit is fucking ridiculous!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 2:49 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• todays cell phone are nearly as bad as the old ones. But no, cell phones emit no radiation when its off. Plus in order to get enough radiation to get brain damage, u really have to be on it for hours on in everyday. Most cell batteries do not even last long enough when someone is talking on it.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I honestly don't know. But here is what I would do get him a toy one from Walmart or a kids store. I simply would not risk my kids to find out later that it will cause some damage. Why not just be sure.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• that is a good question and kids loves cell phones so much too its so cute to watch them play with it. you could ask your cell phone provider just to double check that it doesn't when its turned off? did you take out the battery?
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 9:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2011