House Republicans get ready to repeal Obamacare ...

.... here's what I don't understand .... the Republicans KNOW that the Senate would also have to pass the bill for repeal, which is still controlled by Democrats, and the President would still have to sign it, which everyone knows THAT won't happen. So why are they trying to do this? They know it will fail. Is this just an empty gesture on their part?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 8:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It should be overturned due to the unconstitutionality of the mandate, which the whole bill relies on.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• As I recall in ONE of the drafts to the health care bill (HR 3200?) said that if any provision of the health care bill was found unconstitutional, that it wouldn't change the overall bill (I'm paraphrasing). I don't know if something like this was written into the one that passed, but if it is, I don't that the Supreme Court could overturn the whole thing.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I know I wouldn't want my representatives passing a bill just because they think it'll pass with or without them. Then again, I'm also the rare kind of person that would actually vote No on measures I disagree with, even if I know it's likely to pass anyway.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 9:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• WHY do you think the President won 't sign the Health Care Bill .....when he was the one who wanted a Health Care Bill....?
    I can certainly see why Republicans don't want it though.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It's called marketing.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• WHY do you think the President won 't sign the Health Care Bill

uhhh ... I said that the President wouldn't sign the bill to REPEAL the health care bill.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I believe it is posturing. It will not get repealed, they do not have the support. Many of them campaigned on this though, so they will gladly waste their time on empty gestures rather than trying to get any work done.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Saying and actually doing are 2 vastly different things-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• All the House has to do is agree to cease funding it....until they can argue the constitutionality of it in court. The House controls the purse strings.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Just de-fund the damned thing.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011