Is There Something Else going On?

Within the last week, my lil girl who just turned 2 last month, has done a complete 360! Everyday for the last week, she has been just outrageous! Screaming, yelling, hitting, biting, kicking, tantrums to the max! Not sleeping at night, waking up early in the am. Or if my mom comes to pick her and her brother up in the am, she doesnt want to wake up. Because she hasnt gone to bed before 1 or 2 am and is back up by 5 or 6. Ready for the day. SHould I be concerned? Is this a normal thing for 2 year old. My son didnt go thru and he will be 4 in january. Im scared for her, and we are both exhausted!

JnJmommy0506

Asked by JnJmommy0506 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I assume you mean she did a 180. If she did a 360 she's be back to the way she was before. I have 4 year old twins, and they both went through a rough spot around age 2. It worked itself out and all was fine again...I remember it being VERY exhausting, though. Has your child had any changes in her life that could be upsetting her?
    Anonymous

• Nothing has changed. They still go to my moms during the day, and I pick them up in the evening. We stop and see daddy for a bit, go home, have dinner, watch a movie, take baths and attempt the bed time thing. I can honestly say, she has progressively gotten worse since just before her 2nd birthday. She used to go to bed, no fight, eat without a fight....play normal, without getting overly pissed and attack her brother. I will say, he can be antagonistic. He is a boy and he is 4. I will be starting school in january, but it wont affect their schedule that much. I guess im just concerned. My step sister was having the same sort of problems when my niece was about my daughters age, and her docs diagnosed her with adhd and the older she got, they started saying maybe she was bi~polar and that possibly had aspergers.
    JnJmommy0506

Answer by JnJmommy0506 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I see a couple of read flags. Does she take naps during the day? If not and she gets very little sleep, how is her energy level when she gets going in the morning? If she still has a high level of energy that is a concern. Also, when she wakes up is she able to tell you she has bad dreams or nightmares? Does she appear scared? That is a red flag. When she has temper tantrums - are they so outrageous that you would say it is closer to rage? That is another red flag. Does she ever have periods of time where she gets so tired that nothing seems to get her moving and she's slow - but then other times she has so much energy on very little sleep? Again red flag.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Is she very smart and more articulate for her age? If yes, keep this in mind. Is she considered percoscious (I can't spell)? If yes, keep that in mind. If you are can say to most or all of these questions - yes. There could be some problems going on. If these things are happening you may want to talk to a piediatric behaviorlist. Your child's doctor may tell you these things are normal...but you may know that something is going on. Demand the referal or if you don't have a behavioralist in your area get a referal for a peidiatric psychologist. It could be nothing, it could be diet, or it could be the early signs of something else. I would encourage you to talk to her doctor.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• About the only red flag here is the tantrums are closer to rage. I mean she stiffens up, and doesnt want to be held, or loved, she pushes me away, her dad away. Kicking and screamning..not even really crying but just screaming. Im so scared for my baby!
    JnJmommy0506

Answer by JnJmommy0506 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I was asking because in the original post I thought she was staying up and waking early. That could be a sign/symptom of a mood disorder. But if her tantrums are, in your opinion, more than what is "normal" then I would seek out a peidiatric behavioralist. He or she specializes in behaviors of young children and helps parents to find new ways to respond to the child's needs. It could be "a phase" she is going through...but if you are really scared for her then I would get her some professional help. It must be awful for her too.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Shes reaching out for attention.
    Anonymous