• In the Spotlight:

What is the best most reliable easy to use thermometer... that doesnt cost an arm and a leg ???

bwsmommy

Asked by bwsmommy at 8:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• To me, the best way is under the arm, but the doctor will always say "Well we don't know what his ACTUAL temperature is." What you need to do if you want to take a temp this way (auxiliary temp) is remember that the child's actual temp will be higher - you have to add a degree or two to the auxiliary temp.

But instead of memorizing the difference, here is what I do. I take my child's temp, under the arm, several times over a few weeks, to see what his average temp is when he isn't sick. Then I write that down, and when he gets sick and I take his temp, I pay attention to how much higher it is than his normal auxiliary temp. Then if it seems pretty high, i know the doc will take an accurate temp when I take him in anyway.

Good luck! I tried hte forehead one and the ear one too, btw, and couldn't get consistent results - I'd take the temp twice in a row and get 2 very different temps!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 8:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thank you FelipesMom ..
    bwsmommy

Comment by bwsmommy (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i do up the butt, did with my 5 yr old, and probably will with the 5 week old.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i do mine up the butt with the generic walmart one, google how to do it :)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• ...i mean with my son not my own lol
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i know how to do it .. but i just wonder if any thermometer is better and easier .. and if i would still have to add or minus a degree ..?
    bwsmommy

Comment by bwsmommy (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If you take a rectal temp then you don't have to add anything.

I think the most reliable methods are rectal, auxiliary, and under the tongue. I think the only one of those that involves adding or subtracting anything is the auxiliary.

Also, a good thermometer often comes with instructions for each method, and even diagrams that show where the "heat pockets" that you want to aim for are. And should also tell you how many degrees to add or whatever for each method.

Good luck to you! I bet a nurse in your pediatrician's office would be happy to help you out, if you just call. Or maybe your local health department?

FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have this Vicks thermometer that can be used orally, under the arm, or rectally. It was 12 bucks I think but well worth it. It takes the temp literally in like 7 seconds and is ACCURATE. Very easy to use.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2011