Do I need to buy a new car seat?

I was in a car accident on Christmas Eve. I spun out 360 degrees on some ice, skidded over a shallow ditch and hit a tree on my rear driver's side. My car seat is positioned on the rear passenger side. I think I must have been going no more than 15-20 mph because I slowed down going over the ditch. None of my airbags deployed but all the seat belts tightened up. Only minimal damage to the car, no one was hurt (my kids thought I was playing around).

Anyway, I know that I read somewhere that car seats need to be replaced after accidents. Does that mean major accidents or any accident? I looked at the car seat and it looks fine. It's a Britax Marathon maybe a year old.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 8:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, but if you report it to your insurance, they may reimburse you for the new car seat.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would think so just to be safe. Ask your insurance company, they should cover it if you do.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i had an accident a couple of months ago a women hit me on the side of the car nothing real big wasnt going fast. I told the insurance company and they gave me a check for a new one you are suppose to change it out even with a little car accident.
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 8:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• A few years ago my van was hit while parked on the street the insurance company still paid to replace the carseats.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i prob would check with insurance first
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 8:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If you're going through insurance, then ABSOLUTELY get a new car seat. If not, then I still think you should. It was in an accident, and they are supposed to be replaced after any type of accident.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• you should call britax and ask them. I know some manufacturers say after any crash and some have specific criteria. Graco for example states that a seat should be replaced after any accident and I believe britax is only after certain accidents. If it does need replaced they can send you a letter to give to the insurance company. Sometimes the insurance company doesnt want to pay for the seat if the dont think the crash warrants it so the letter might come in handy.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would replace the car seat just to be safe. I heard after a car accident you need to get a new one.
    allboyz03

Answer by allboyz03 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would replace it just to be safe. Also file it on your insurance and they should replace it for you.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I agree with everyone else here and would likely err on the side of caution and just replace it. Calling Britax to inquire and the insurance company for possible coverage are both great suggestions.
    PS--Glad you're are all okay!!!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011