Community Laundry Facilities?

My bf lives in an apartment building which has a shared laundry room (2 washers & 2 dryers).
My question is, is 20 minutes long enough to wait after the dryers are finished before I take someone's stuff out & put it in the baskets in front of them so I can dry our stuff?

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 8:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would think so. If they're leaving their basket there and leaving their laundry unattended, I would think they somewhat expect that someone will remove their drying if they need to.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 8:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• yep..i used to do it all the time. even if they didn't bring their basket.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yes I think that 20 minutes is acceptable. If I left my clothes in a public dryer, I would just be happy not to come back and find them stolen.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 8:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would say no longer than 30 minutes.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i always hated this!! i would prob do it sometimes i would fold their laundry and i wouldn't feel as bad good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 8:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I too hated this, so glad I have my own washer/dryer. And I think 20 mins is definately long enough.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I too share a common laundry room, it sucks really bad sometimes. 30 minutes is fair. At my old complex, I used to get up super early on Sunday am just so I could get it done before anyone else was up.,,,lol
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• When we still had to go to laundry rooms or the laundry mat. there were signs "Do NOT leave laundry unatteded".. it was posted everywhere. Heck it was even in our lease once. Unattended laundry is unacceptable. If they don't want me touching their stuff then they better damn well be there when it is finished. I never waited more than 10 minutes beofre I moved it. They are being rude and inconsiderate. If you know who is doing it, and they do it repeatedly, report it to the manager. One lease we had actually said you could be evicted for leaving laundry unattended. 20 minutes is more than gracious.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Depends on what is in there and how good the dryers are. Usually in apartment complexes the dryers are not that good so I'd say no, 20 minutes is nowhere near long enough. Also, the dryers typically run for longer than 20 minutes at a time anyway so you'd run the risk of making enemies when you take their clothes out and use their time and money. A little tip is that in most complexes people don't stay in the laundry room while they are washing and drying their laundry because each of those takes longer than 20 minutes. Be careful about messing with other people's laundry. Some people get very upset about this kind of thing.
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies. Just as I psyched myself up to take the stuff out & headed down the hall & I heard her in there folding her clothes. I went back to his place for a few & when I went back the laundry room was empty & the dryers were ready & waiting for me. The people in this building are usually courteous. I'm usually the one that's so nervous that i'll get distracted & forget a load or 2 (that's why I set the kitchen timer to remind me). ADHD sucks sometimes. Lol.
    FeelinYummy

Comment by FeelinYummy (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2011