Baby clothes smell after being washed?

I just got my baby's clothes out of the dryer and they stink. This is the second time I've washed them because of it. What could be causing this? They weren't that dirty to begin with. I think one or two had gotten wet when her diaper leaked, but not many, but the whole load smells now. At first it was just one sleeper I had washed and dried, but now the whole load is smelling. I don't even know what it smells like, just bad. I use All Free and Clear. Any one know why this is happening?

montanagal2005

Asked by montanagal2005 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Is the material fleece? I've purchased some inexpensive fleece from Carter's, figuring kids outgrow them so quickly. What I've found is it's not the washer causing the problem, it's the heat in the dryer that's making the fleece smell "funky"/bad. I don't know why, but the fleece i bought from LLBean does not do this, regardless how many times I wash/dry them.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• How long between the wash and dry?
    babiesandkids

Answer by babiesandkids at 9:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Did the sleeper have mold on it? I learned that the hard way with my first child. Anything remotely damp, hang on the side of the basket until comepletely dry before putting in with other stuff. Another problem may be your washer. Open the lid/door and smell..is it musty smelling? If so you need to run a hot water empty load with bleach or vinegar in it. Always leave the door open or the lid up for several hours after thae last load to avoid mildew growing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Maybe 30 min. The second time not even that. I know it's not that. None of my other loads are doing it, just the baby's.
    montanagal2005

Comment by montanagal2005 (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Try bleach and water alone in the washer to get rid of the smell. I'm not sure how to get it out of the dryer though. I've had the issue happen so many times with potty training. One pair can turn several loads into a stinky fiasco. Bleach water, maybe vinegar in the water...no clothes till the smell is cleared. The dryer...extra scented dryer sheets?!? -shrugs-
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 9:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The sleeper didn't have mold on it and it's not the washer. Everything was dry before putting them it. It's not happening to any of the other clothes, so I don't know what it is.
    montanagal2005

Comment by montanagal2005 (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I had the same trouble with my daughter's baby clothes. I thought it was from the detergent I was using, so I stopped using it, and they stopped smelling. I think the baby-specific laundry soap is what did it. I was using Dreft.
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 9:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would rewash in hot water and use tide! they make free and clear and cost about the same as dreft. good luck.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Wash & rinse in white vinegar.
    Anonymous