mold me, shape me, control me. I'll obey every reasonable comment/suggestion left here

Today was a disaster I care not to repeat. Have had similar incidents but today (first day of school after 12 days home for break) was truly lousy.

The goal: A reasonable schedule. Is that too much to ask?

The facts: My son is 6 and in kindergarten (full day) He has sleep issues ranging from asthma, croup, waking himself up coughing, night terrors, sleepwalking, standard nightmares, and being generally over tired.

To make the school bus I have to wake him around 6:40 at the LATEST. Waking up and eating is tough because he is EXHAUSTED. Rarely can he stomach more than a few bites of food (whole grain toast, soy milk, a kashi bar, oatmeal, etc) before he dozes off at the table. He then gets to school hungry/sleepy and has a small snack there around 10:15 and lunch around 12:15. (so he wakes up about 6:40 and his sister age 4 1/2 wakes up around 9)

My daughter and I have to walk about 4 blocks to get him at 2:15pm. It's a long walk trudging through deep snow, glare ice, and this week below zero temps. By the time the 3 of us get home we're frozen and exhausted. ... so now what ???

What's BEEN happening is we have a very quick snack and collapse into our beds. Unfortunately my son is so over-tired at this point (the long school day, lack of sleep, trying to keep up with his peers in gym with his asthma is all taxing on him.) that if left to his own devices his body wants him to sleep til like 6pm. Then dinner, any homework, occasional bath, reading, play time, and it's 9pm and he's not tired and it's WAY past an appropriate bedtime.

If we try and fight his bodily urges and NOT nap he'll either fall asleep during whatever he's doing or his exhaustion makes him rude, defiant, etc. ... And for those of you saying call the pediatrician I am over that. He was doing better taking Benadryl for sleep every night but he developed an intolerance and needed more and more every few months so we're trying to go natural.

SO! Tell me what u would do and as long as it's not too weird, I'll be trying it. As soon as tomorrow.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Your title sounds so dirty..... :)

I'm so sorry mama. Have you tried taking him to a doctor about his sleep issues?
    Why does the bus pick him up but not drop him off?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If you are able to spend some money I would suggest a rise and shine light and a table top happy light and melatonin . Is he on a compressor for asthma? not just inhalers. Good luck.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Has he been checked for sleep apnea, on top of everything else? I've dealt with it in one of my kids, my DH, my dad, and my FIL. And honestly, some of those other conditions could be exacerbated, even caused, by sleep apnea.
    Anonymous

• From the food you mention your son eating, I can tell you're trying to feed him healthfully. However, have you looked into gluten intolerance? Most of what you listed is very gluten-heavy, and his body may not be able to cope with all the grains he's eating.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 9:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• MariAn - he has gobs of weird but life threatening food allergies and an epi pen is always nearby. He's had blood and skin allergy testing 3x since he was a toddler but I am not 100% certain he was officially checked for gluten or not. I try and serve filling things and the most carbs/protein/fiber per bite. power foods with the intent of keeping him going (although it never works)

Anon - sleep apnea has not been tested for.... he's had MAJOR sleep drama ever since an allergic reaction to Singulair. He had very intense hallucinations every single night for like 3 months before the dr's finally realized what was causing it. ever since the hallucinations are gone but replaced by screwy sleep and nightmares/anxiety about the hallucinations returning. traumatized to a point I guess you'd say.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• oh the bus: he goes to private school. in the morning they joined forces w/ the public school and he buses w/ them..... in the afternoon though the public school does not HAVE a full day kindergarten so he's on a dif bus and dif route and actually a dif school bus company. so morning bus is like 10 feet from door.... afternoon bus is faaaaaaar and since there's a lot of for sale/unoccupied houses around here no one is shoveling or snow blowing so picking him up is a nightmare. the snowplows make it worse every single day. (nothern minnesota. cold too... like waaaay below zero!)
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would look into using melatonin. Its a natural supplement. Also, if his asthma is causing him to be tired, it doesn't sound well controlled. I'd see a pulmonologist for it.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 1:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• He needs to see a sleep specialist & have a sleep study definately, then a visit with an allergy/immunology specialist & a pulmonologist if he hasn't seen them already. You may also want to consider a visit with an ENT to make sure there is nothing obstructive & creating further sleep issues (eg..enlarged tonsils/adenoids, deviated septum, etc.). Also, if your son is experiencing PTSD from his previous hallucinations, you may want to consider counseling services for him. Since your child is not in a public school, there's probably not much you can do there, but if he were, you could request that he have a modified school day that includes an afternoon nap or adapted gym, etc. until you get his sleep issues under control.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• so sorry to read about all of this. it must be sooo hard on all of you! i would try melatonin and get him tested for sleep apnea. perhaps he needs to speak to a therapist about being afraid of the hallucinations too. i'll pray for you guys!
    JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I am so sorry my niece had alot of the same problems and also skin problems that made her itch all night too. The best thing I know to do is make sure he only take a short nap and then make sure he is getting enough iron too.(with her peanut allergyshe had that problem to. Good luck im sure you will get alot more help from here to.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2011