anything i should be doing for my 4 month twins with a cold?

i feel awful that my twins have been sick with a cold for about a month. they had one cold then were about to get better then got another cold. i feel like they have been sick for so long. my twin boy is on his second cold now and is having a hard time breathing at night from his stuffy nose. my 3 yr old son in preschool seems to be getting the whole family sick w/ constant colds. they have had at most a low grade fever for 2 - 3 days (never above 100) and don't seem too bothered other than the runny nose/congestion. i don't think there is much i can do, but i just thought i would vent/share...thanks for any advice/support!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Run a vaporizer or humidifier at night. Put Baby Vicks on their chests and feet with socks. Use saline nasal drops in their noses and then suction it out.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• thank you. i've been doing the humidifier, but can i ask how the baby vicks helps? i did buy some but the menthol seems so mild - does it help? i use the drops and suction their noses too, but what do you do when you hear so much mucus but nothing comes out? it all is trapped inside...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• you can run a humidifier in the room where they spend the most time and where they sleep to keep the air moist. you can also incline them while they sleep (I put a pillow under the baby bed mattress to lift up the head ) If they seem especially stuffy you can also try turning hot water on in the shower and close the bathroom door to sit in the steamy warm air for a little while..it can help break things up in their chest. and you can put baby vicks on the bottoms of their feet and cover with socks. I have also heard to add eucalyptis oil to the hot water in the shower (same smell vicks has) it will really open everything up.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Vicks is a cough suppressant.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Just good ol' saline spray and suction.... Keep their heads elevated at night to prevent congestion and open air-way.
    Tylenol for the fever every 4 hrs. Do not use vix vaporrub, be sure not to.
    Good luck!!!
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If they've been sick for that long...have you called the doctor? I never let my kids go more than a week, 10 days at the most, before calling.
    Anonymous