Is 36 too old to try to have a baby?

I had my first at 34 and want at least a 2 year age gap between kids, only because I know how hard it is to have two so small from watching my cousin deal with it. Waiting two years means doing it again at 36. Does two years really make such a difference? I am healthy and had no problems with my previous pregnancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• For those of you responding with "well i had my babies young and wouldn't want to be OLD at the HS graduation," you are insensitive and ignorant. First off, having children later in life has a LOT of benefits, such as job stability, wisdom, and feeling settled in life. All things that make someone a better parent. Secondly, being proud that the daughter you had at 23 made you are grandmother at 39 us NOTHING to be proud of. Third, she already has one baby in her thirties, so your rude comments do nothing but make you look like you can't read. She asked about the difference two years makes at her age, not at YOUR age, or in YOUR mind.

To OP: NO. 36 is not too old. I can't imagine two years suddenly making you infertile either. As with all pregnancies, there are risks involved, but if you are otherwise healthy, then the risks are probably lower than the fear mongers here would have it seem. I say go for it.
    MagdaJ

Answer by MagdaJ at 6:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No your not too old I was 34 but I had mine back to back because of my age and they will be closer if they are closer in age, sure its hard at first but its better in the long run. I breastfed both of mine and I did it.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I had my yougest at 37. I know many women who are having kids in there 40's. There is actually a couple of groups here at cafemom of "older moms with young children". Check them out. I will tell ya what I am a much better parent now then I was at 19. My dd is 8 now and my patience level etc is much better. I wish I'd of had my oldest at an older age.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Looks like you and me are in the same boat! I'm 34 and just had my first child. I had medical problems that prohibeted me from having children sooner. I want to have my 2nd by 36 and maybe even a 3rd....
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 10:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I dont think so at all, as long as you feel like you are up to it and have no health concerns
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Look towards how old you will be when that child actually graduates HS...lol My mom doesn't regret my little sister, but wishes she had her way before 40! lol She's 59 now and just getting her last off!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 9:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• That is a personal decision that only you can answer..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't see a problem at having a kid at 36. The "risks" are higher, but I don't think they're that bad. As long as you take care of yourself and baby, all I can say is "Good luck"! Best wishes!
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No I think it is fine. I was 33 when I had my last and my doctor told me if I wanted another the only thing I needed to be aware of after 35 was additional testing they might do since as we get older were more prone to twins, and other issues with our bodies and our babies. If you look around the news having babies well into your 40's seems to be the norm anymore.

Answer by gemgem at 9:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2011