Looking back and laughing while thanking God she never got in a car accident....

I was just looking through pictures of my stepdaughter when she was still in a car seat (5 point harness) and remembering how her biological mother used to put her in, this is hard to describe but I am going to try....

She would put her arms AND legs through the arm holes and clip straight down the middle...as she got older she would have to prop/stand her up in the seat to get her legs through the arm holes and buckle her....When DH and I started dating my stepdaughter was about 1 1/2 and I made !SURE! he knew better and showed him the correct way to put her in......

I am so glad that she is now in a big girl booster!

Do parents learn how to strap the child in before leaving the hospital? Just wondering since I have not had any children of my own, it seems like something that should be covered before leaving...

NessGuinness

Asked by NessGuinness at 9:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• they didnt teach me, but i heard you can go to any fire department and they will show you
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• No they don't teach you to strap your kids in but they do make sure you have a carseat before leaving.
    I don't see how people don't know how to strap the kid in. It has picture instructions in the manual if you're unsure.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• How uncomfortable that must have been for the baby!!! LOL
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 10:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yeah lol she was never comfortable...I have to admit DH was strapping her in wrong too it wasn't just her mother but sadly I could only fix one parent lol :) after I showed him the correct way to strap her in she liked riding in our car A LOT better and her mom actually got mad because when we would meet to exchange her she wouldn't want to get out of our car or she would get really excited to see our car and hop right in and when she was 2 she mentioned that she liked her seat in "donkey car" better (we dressed our car up as Eeyore for Halloween when she was 2)

She is 4 now and still likes being in our car so maybe it wasn't just the car seat but it is a nicer theory than the alternative ;)
    NessGuinness

Comment by NessGuinness (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You can't go to ANY fire department to learn. You need to go to a place that has a CPST. Some fire departments have them, others don't. Safekids.org to find a local CPST.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2011