Our dog is 8 years old and sick. He has a disease called Addisons. He is really sick again...

I just don't know if I can continue caring for him anymore. I don't have the money and every single day I am cleaning up throw up and diarrhea. Is it cruel to have him put down? I called the breeder I got him from and she said it is the right thing to do but I feel so bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pets

• If he' s terminally ill I think its best to put him down so he no longer has to suffer.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You are the only one that should make that decision.I know it's hard but we have to consider their quality of life.Have you done any research on Addisons disease?Maybe there are some ideas as to making caring for your dog easier for you and would make your dog feel better.
    Good luck in what you decide.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Absolutely not. You have to think about his suffering. Stay strong. Thoughts are with you both!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Is he on any meds like prednisone and/or percortin? Usually addisons can be controlled with meds, but flare ups can happen... Use your best judgement... how is his quality of life? Your the one with him, so unfortuneately it's your decision. Make an appt with vet to see what they say...
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 10:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Can I ask what kind of dog he is? My mom's dog died of Addison's about ten years ago. She was a Bearded Collie.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• He's an American Bulldog.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I had to put 2 of our Cocker Spaniels down 2 years a part A Mother and then her son. It was a very hard thing to do, and I cried for days after, but it was a necessary thing at the time. It's more cruel to keep them alive and suffer than to put them down and be at peace. Would you let a family member suffer? They are also a member of your family, so don't feel guilty for loving another member of your family. Good luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Go to your vet and seek their advice...if they can proivide some relief for him to manage his symptoms so he can go peacefully at home in his own time, then do that. But if not, then put him to sleep.

I have done both things with my dogs over the past 18 months. With my last labrador (was put down yesterday) and we have been giving him anti-inflammatories and pain relief at home for a couple of months before making the decision over Christmas that he was beginning to deteriorate and suffer. So he was put to sleep.

I don't think it is cruel. Letting an animal suffer because you cant afford a vet bill for treatment/palliative care is cruel.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 9:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have an addisons dog and it sounds liek he's crashing, I'd say get him to your vet asap, so they can get him stabilized. It's a hard disease to treat but it not a death sentence, just a matter of getting the meds right, if they get their meds every day they will stay stable. My girl is 7 so not far from your boy.
    txranchmom

Answer by txranchmom at 3:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would put the dog down.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011