Have you ever heard of such a thing?

For starters I'm EBF for at least 6 months (just so people know this is not me!!) but a relative of mine has a baby that will be 3 months old on the 7th of this month and a doctor told her to give a bottle of apple juice before every bottle of formula to help with constipation. OMG!!! I'm totally freaking out about this but you can't convince her of anything so I just wondered what other moms thought.

SweetOrangeMama

Asked by SweetOrangeMama at 10:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never heard of that!
    Kaye924

Answer by Kaye924 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yeah i have heard of it, my nephew gets EXTREMELY constipated and has other bowel problems as well. its better now, but when he was newborn the pediatrician told my sister to give him a small amount of apple juice because nothing else was working. and it still didnt really help... but it may help for others. i thought it was crazy as well but he had really really bad constipation problems

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yes I have when it comes to severe cases of constipation.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I've heard of the apple juice as well; my oldest had problems and a small bottle of apple juice every day helped to keep him regular. My youngest has occasional issues, I give him a juice box and things go back to normal.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I forget to say they have changed her formula back and forth between two or three different kinds in less than two weeks. I know some juice can help but I was shocked by them saying before every bottle and for a 3 mo.
    SweetOrangeMama

Comment by SweetOrangeMama (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Maybe they changed due to the child being constipated and perhaps they thought one brand would change her bowel movements.

My nephew had it at about 3 months as well.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I'm shocked he said before "every" bottle of formula.. Never heard that one before but yes I used it too for my kids but not every feeding... Seems like the baby would have many BMs a day and feel up on sugar instead of the formula.. Maybe she misunderstood the frequency part..

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It sounds downright dangerous to me. I worry that baby fills up from the juice and does not get all the nutrients needed to grow because he's taking less formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I just wanted to point out, that my nephew had it every feeding before nursing (yes happens when nursing as well) because he was so constipated he wouldnt have a bowel movement for a good 10 days one time it was 13 days. he also had other problems as well.

it helped him somewhat but was still constipated in some cases ( like my nephew) it was def needed!!! and better to do that than have the dangerous side effects of NOT pooping for more than 13 days than to be worried about the sugar and them being hopped up on it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't say a "bottle: of juice before every feeding....but actually a very small amount can help. The natural sugar causes the feces to absorb more water and makes it easier to go. Plain water w/o sugar doesn't do this but goes straight to the bladder.
    babiesandkids

Answer by babiesandkids at 10:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2011