Trying to make a daily routie.

My son just turned one year old and i am trying to come up a new routine. He does not go to day care and I am worried about him getting enough stimulation and developing on time. Any ideas?

SidneyJae

Asked by SidneyJae at 10:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you keep him in a box?

YOU are enough stimulation for a child this age. In fact, our 'normal' world is totally overwhelming to many children.

Living your life --preparing meals, keeping house, exploring your yard, the local park and the library are more than enough. Talk to him about what you're doing, let him hold things, pour things, move things, taste and explore things as much as possible... and in 6 years you'll have a little guy who willingly helps out, knows how to do things and feels competent and capable in his home and neighbourhood.

No daycare required.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I agree. I let my son "help" me with everything when he was that age and now at 2 he gets mad when I do things without him (like cooking or unloading the dishwasher). Picture books are great stimulation at this age, too. I would ask my son where certain objects were on the page and would teach him new objects along with what he already knew. As he started talking more he would tell me what the objects were. We also would go on walks and talk about the scenery, watch cars go by, hear dogs bark and birds fly. It is the simple things that teach kids the most at that age.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2011