Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I go about filing for child support?

I am due at the very end of february...the father of my child is being stubborn and not wanting to help at all. I ask him for 20$ he says he's too broke to "loan" out any money but a few days after ends up going out to casinos with his family and friends and comes back actually broke WTF?

well i am done and have had it. he wants to lie fine. but i need help supporting his child while im still in school without a job.

i was told he has to be on the birth certificate but my son hasn't been born yet and the father has said he's not going to be there for the birth of his son. so what do I do?

Answer Question

Asked by mommyrebecca at 10:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 4 (39 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • You put the father's name on the birth certificate, then you go to court and file for support. Just remember, that no matter what, the father has a right to see his child.

    Answer by gumby11883 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

  • he doesnt have to be on the birth certificate if you dont want him to be you dont even have to give the baby his last name if you arent married...but if you dont put him on there and he decides he wants to be he can petition you to court. If you want child support however you will put him as the father and then contact your local child support agency after the baby is born. They will not do anything with visitation or custody so you dont have to worry about that they only do child support. If he decideds he wants court ordered visitation or custody he will need to take you to court. The laws vary from state to state as to what he is entitled to and what your rights are.

    Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

  • Well, if your son isn't born yet he doesn't owe you anything yet.
    Put him down as the dad when you are in the hospital, then as soon as you can, go visit the local child support agency.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.