11 month old is so sleepy....but won't nap or sleep.

My 11 month old used to nurse then go to sleep in the swing because it was the only way he would sleep. He has slept most of his life in the swing because he'd nap there for 2 hours and be rested whereas when I put him in the crib he would 1) Wake up immediately 2) he would sleep only a half hour and be cranky and would not go back to sleep. The same went for bedtime, he would just sleep longer in the swing.

Just the past two weeks he has been yelling when I put him in his swing that he has loved for so long. I didn't know what think of it at first. So now he just wants to nurse and go to sleep that way. But by some miracle he lets me put him in the crib after he falls asleep in my arms. Yeah, that might sound weird for me to say but getting him in the crib without the swing is such a big deal for him!

The big problem is that if he doesn't go to sleep while he nurses he just gets up like he was never sleepy but just seconds before he seems like he is absolutely about to fall asleep. I let him go back and play because I don't know what else to do. What is the AP way to handle this? Last time I let him co-sleep with me he nursed like all night....I guess because he knew his milk was nearby. I like AP parenting and I will not let him Cry it Out, It just isn't my style. I don't co-sleep because I don't go to bed at the same time he does and sometimes he wakes up to nurse more often if I'm right next to him.

I'm just really lost with what I'm supposed to do. It's really one of the most frustrating parts of my life right now. I feel like I'm failing him because he's not getting a healthy amount of sleep and it's stressing me out. I need guidance, what would you suggest? And if you suggest a book, please suggest a specific method.

I've already posted this question in other groups but haven't got any answers so I'm also posting it here.

MommyBird388

Asked by MommyBird388 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All I know is he has to learn a way to soothe him self. At some point he needs to learn to settle down. I would also say watch what your eating. I know when my youngest did not sleep well I did more caffeine and then you guessed it so did she b/c of nursing. So try to lessen your caffeine intake and chocolate. I would also say that your story sounds just like mine. My baby (she is 17 now) did not sleep through the night for 5 years. Arrggh. This was God or some ones way of getting me back for having another kid who slept through the night at 5 days. Good luck to you...
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Because of the infinite distractability of a child this age, the simplest thing to do is 'shut down the house' so there is nothing else that he's 'missing out on'... a friend calls this the CMS syndrome --Can't Miss Shit.

Turn off the tv, radio, computer, etc., and turn all the lights off except nightlights and the bedside lamp where he's getting his story or whatever. Expect it to take 45 minutes at least.

Sleep, for maturing babies, is hard --it requires a relaxing out of a day's activities, a letting go of curiosity and exploration, and developing the sense of safety and calm necessary to fall asleep. Anything that startles, distracts, or makes a child feel insecure will pop the process right back to the beginning of the ordeal. You may need to turn off the ringer on phones, or at least those near the bedrooms...

One method many people find effective is to lie down with the child and get up once he's sleeping.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• A Reply to the first two comments:
    I know that he needs to learn to soothe himself. What is the AP way to do that? I have cut out all of my caffeinated drinks and only have a few hershey kisses after my baby goes to bed.

Everything is off when I am nursing him for 15 minutes or more. Going to try to make a sleep routine, I just read about it in the "No-Cry Sleep Solution Book" yesterday. Right now I just turn everything off and nurse him to sleep. And if you lay down with the child, where do you do it? If I put him in bed with me he will crawl right off. It's like he doesn't understand what we're doing there. In any place, he just gets up and explores.
    MommyBird388

Comment by MommyBird388 (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't have a good answer to your question because I have the same problem minus the swing! I will bump you though and hope for an answer that can help us both!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:10 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Response to khedy:
    Wow, I'm so glad I'm not completely alone on this one. Maybe we can keep bumping this question or start another post in a more populated group. I'm desperate for an answer. Let me know if you figure out anything.
    MommyBird388

Comment by MommyBird388 (original poster) at 5:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2011