Ugh...what do you pay a sitter for 2 kids in the city?

I am searching for sitters again and they are asking between 14-20/hourly for two kids. Gosh, this seems like a lot-- tax free. Is this the going rate? My sitters sit on the couch while my children sleep. I feel like I should start to nanny!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Try sittercity.com they might have something reasonable.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I pay $10 a hour for 2 kids ... but that's not in the city and it's for a teenager. I think that's a lot. Needless to say we don't go out much!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• how many hours
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 11:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• it depends on how long they are watching your kids and what they will be doing for them
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• usually 4 hours or more. I feed them, sitter provides a snack and puts the movie in.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• this why I did not work. I watch kids instead, loved being home with my kids. For movies and stuff I would start at $5,00 a hour.

But if this is for work and you need someone for 5 days a week it should be cheaper.$200 a week.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• what city...that seems like alot? Are you taking occasional night out or like Ft while you work? I pay 25 a day formy 2 yr old and like 10for the older kids for before/after school. We are in Az in the city
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• hill2, Seattle and all I can think of is that the Microsoft/Boeing/Starbucks people are paying a ton. But I live right in the city and not on the outskirts. Yes, occasional night out. And it's not that I can't pay the 14+ an hour, it's that I don't want to. : )
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• For now I live in a military town. On the weekends I babysit for some extra dough. I charge $4 per hour no matter how many children are in one household.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• WOW 20 a hr thats more than i make and thats ridiculous i watch a 4yr old and a 8yr old an feed them bathe them do school work + + an get 60 a week so i dont think 15 or 20 a hour is required i would do 5.00 or 8.00 for 2 kids but ppl these days are trying to make a full time paycheck off a part time job so you gotta keep searching :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2011