Okay, so I am watching Hoarders for the first time... This is really a brain disorder?

A disability? This show is unbelievable. Have you ever known anyone like this?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Entertainment

• I have seen the show and honestly, I have ask myself how does a person reach such a point? The homes are disgusting and uninhabitable. I guess it is like any other type of mental disorder . The person must go through therapy and possible medication. I saw one show where the parents literally had their children taken away ....but you certainly can't expect a child to live in those conditions. I'm pretty sure they got their children back, after going through extensive therapy . It is really kind of sad .
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I watched it for the first time last week when I was bored via Netflix. OMG!!!! It's shocking...but so is Housewives of Beverly Hills!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• im watching it too and its my first time watching also, ive been watching these people and has been like "how could they do that?"
    CandyMama231

Answer by CandyMama231 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I love that show i watch it every week, but no i've never known anyone with the disorder before. Its sad that these people go through this.

It is classified as a mental illness.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• We have a customer at work who is a hoarder! OMG! She buys up the store, she can barely see out of her car windows! She was telling me the other day how cold she is at home because her furnace stopped working, so I asked her why she didn't call someone and she said she had to make a path because they wouldn't be able to get in and find it! There was also a guy here who filed a missing persons report on his wife who was missing 5 days, they searched the house and their was sooo much debris and smell that even the cadaver dogs couldn't smell her. She was under a pile of garbage dead for 5 days!!! So sad!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It usually comes on after a tramatic event in their lives. Hoarding is a form of control, they cannot control what has happened to them so they try to hang on to stuff. It is a coping mechanism. I have never been around anyone that had it to this degree. However I do know pack rats. They associate stuff with security and in some cases ( especially animal hoarders ) love.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 11:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have also seen the show. These people need to control something or were poor and afraid they might be poor again. Some people may have very bad mental problems. There are many reasons why they do this, and it is sad.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have watched it many times and yes, it is unbelievable that ppl can get to the point that they are living in mountainous piles of "stuff"! I do believe that ppl that have this condition have gotten this way through years of emotional distress and hang onto "things" for the purpose of security of a "happier time in their lives" or that they just seem to have a problem of throwing things away. The reason differs from person to person. This condition, much like someone that is extremely obese, didn't happen overnight. A lot of these ppl were neat housekeepers early on in their lives, they've just had some emotional happenings that led up to the point where they've needed serious help. Counseling and having help sifting through what should be kept and what should be discarded is key to changing the thought patterns of these ppl.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 11:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have met people who live like this. It's crazy but it IS real. I myself hate clutter but I like I said, I have met many people who have so much junk that you can barely move through their house, they have stacks of papers, piles of books,toys, clothes, etc. just piled everywhere and you can barely move.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I really don't see how this is a mental disorder. Yes, I have seen the show and I have also watched Clean House. I believe people buy stuff to help them deal with certain things in life. Or even if they are missing something in their life and are trying to replace something that they once had and never got over it. They think that things are important to them and they put it up for later, whether or not they buy it or whether it was given to them. It is really unbelievable.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2011