Is this a mental disorder?

What causes a person to be nice for a period of time (a few days-a few weeks) then all of a sudden become extremely hateful and very childish. My mother does this and accuses me & my son's father of doing drugs and not properly caring for our son. She's also an alcoholic and has been abused and also has abused me. There have been several inccidents where she has trapped (blocked their vehicle in, broken locks on doors, ect) people so she can argue with them & yell at them. She's also extremely redundant when she has these outbursts, repeating the same insults and accusations for several minutes or hours if possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Health

• Sounds Bi-polar. The alcohol does not help matters. Best of luck to you. Please watch your children around her. I know she is your mom but it is not the safest environment for them.

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Yes she is sick get her help and I would also not see her when she gets angry, keep the kids away.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Alcoholics are more prone to developing dementia and Alzheimer disease. If I were you I would possibly talk to a doctor about it, they can atleast tell you what the symptoms are and if she shows signs of having either one, you can get her the help that she needs.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It's a form of 'locked in' psychology... obsessive thoughts lead to evidence that's visible across 4 counties.

Clearly, your mother is not coping well, and she might benefit from a good counselor. It is unlikely she'd take the suggestion well --from anyone.

Strangely, one of the things that can help (in the situation) the most is total distraction --asking completely off-handed questions or making completely irrelevant comments out of nowhere, like 'but last July, we had so much rain' or 'how tall were you when you were 7?'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• thank you all. LINDA~that is very interesting, i will definately research that. she gets extremely angry & defensive if anyone says anything about her being an alcoholic and she ignores it when someone says she should talk to a doctor.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I'm going anon only because you just described my DH. I have never seen a man be so kind and caring then turn around and be a complete an utter ass! My DH does not drink, but his mood swings take a terrible toll on me and my family. When he is nice he is super nice, when he is mean he is really mean! I know he is Bi-polar, but he can't accept that. He feels like Bi-Polar is just a word Drs use to medicate people. So is ADD and ADHD.....he doesn't believe in any of that! His first wife actually had him committed for 72 hours, but the Drs said he showed no signs of being Bi polar ....If they had of spent more time with him...his personality would have changed.
    Anonymous