Do you think this will get my baby to sleep in her crib?

So I have shared a bed with my daughter since she was born and she is now 4 months old and i'm ready to kick her out for a variety of reasons. My older daughter slept with me until she was a year old and transitioned with no problems (I couldn't get her to sleep in my bed with me now if i tried!) I've tried putting her to bed when I can tell that she's tired and she just cries until i pick her up. I have tried rocking her to sleep and then putting her in her crib and the second her body hits the matress she cries. Letting her cry it out is not an option. What do you think of the idea of keeping her up until she falls asleep on her own and then moving her to her crib. If she wakes up I would get her out of bed again and wait for her to fall asleep repeating the process until she eventually falls asleep and doesn't wake up when i put her in the crib. My thinking is, at some point she'll be so tired she won't care where she's sleeping. After she's done that for a while I can start putting her in her bed before she's fallen asleep. I'm not sure, just trying to come up with some kind of a plan. What do you all think? Any other suggestions (other than CIO)?

sandrizzle

Asked by sandrizzle at 11:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some mothers find that rocking the baby in a blanket that goes to bed with the baby stops the 'sheet allergy' that wakes them up --it smells warm and familiar and a little bit like mom.

It may also help to keep her door open, so the sound doesn't change dramatically between when she fell asleep and in bed --even someone stepping in front of a door changes the volume enough to wake people.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks for your response Linda. She has a blanket like that and we use it.

As far as keeping the door open, I tend to close it because we are in a 2 bedroom apartment and her crib is in our room. Her sisters room is right next door and I worry that keeping the door open will keep my 2 year old awake at night. Even with the door closed the baby sometimes cries and wakes the toddler, which causes the toddler to cry, which causes the dog to howl! Oh lord! Hahaha. It's never ending!
    sandrizzle

Comment by sandrizzle (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You can try it. It will teach you HER sleep pattern and that'what you need to follw.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I moved my first baby out of our bed at 4 months old (for a variety of reasons) and had the same issue. This is the way I handled it-- I had a bedtime routine for her that I kept the same every night. I laid her down in her crib (after a lot of cuddling and kissing and nursing) around the same time each night, said good-night and left the room. Within a few minutes, she'd be crying. I'd let her cry a little, then I'd go in there, pat her back, comfort her and settle her down, but NOT PICK HER UP. I'd lay her back down with her little lovey-blankie thing, say goodnight and leave the room. We'd do this several times before she'd finally fall asleep. I would continue going in and checking her so she didn't feel abandoned, but I wouldn't "reward" her by picking her up, nursing her, etc. I did this for about 2 weeks before she got completely used to the routine and there was no more crying. We'd have our little cuddle/nurse-cont.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• sessions, music on, all the parts of the routine, every night and she'd lay down and with hardly a whimper, & go right to sleep. She turned out to be quite a champion sleeper too! I never really had any more problems with her sleeping habits after that.
    I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it sure worked with my baby! Best of luck to you--I know the bedtime stuff can be a real challenge.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i have been doing that with my 1 month old and it works...but instead of picking her up, i just rest my hand on her belly until she falls back asleep, and if she does start crying, i pick her up and rock her back to sleep and put her back down.
    jazi1105

Answer by jazi1105 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thanks for your response Vicesix. I have tried a routine, singing to her, rocking her, and as soon as I put her down she doesn't fuss or whimper, she screams! I have tried leaving her in her crib and rubbing her pack or patting her and she will continue to scream. Even after 10-15 minutes. I really don't want ot let her cry it out, but I'm not sure what to do next.
    sandrizzle

Comment by sandrizzle (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Sorry, OP, the only suggestion I would have is to let her scream it out. If you're totally sure that there is nothing else wrong with her, that she just wants you to keep holding or rocking her, then your only choice is to probably just let her keep crying. My baby did the same thing, but as I mentioned, it only took about 2 weeks for her to become accustomed to and happy with her new routine and crib. If you're not comfortable with some amount of crying it out, I'm just not sure what to tell you. Sorry, I wish I had better advice.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2011