Need to fatten up my baby!!!

I had to stop nursing b/c I was not producing enough for my son and was pretty much making him miserable by him not getting enough even with me supplementing but I stopped nursing about 2wks ago now and have been feeding him any time he makes any sound toward being hungry. I'm explaining this b/c he still very skinny. :( He is 5 months old and 14lbs. He was 14lbs 2 months ago. (Also he was a 10lbs baby when born) He is 90% in height but only 20% in weight :( I feed him around 35oz a day AND puree him organic food I make myself. (Please I really don't want to hear any bashing on his age and feeding him, Me as his mother is ok with it and so his his ped) Ped isnt worried AS LONG as he starts gaining weight within the next month and I should increase anything he would be willing to eat especially fatty but healthy foods. What is the best FATTY/ healthy food I can give him? Any helpful advise would be appreciated.

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put rice cereal in his formula for extra calories. Not too much though or else you'll clog the nipple on the bottle. My dd had a hard time gaining weight and the pediatrician told me to do that.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would ask the doctor. See what he or she recommends.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Have you tried reg. milk with whatever you are already giving him?
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• he is already getting cereal b/c of mild acid reflux.

I'm already taking into acount what the doc said I'm just asking to see if any moms out there know anything else that might work.

I have not tried reg. milk. I am just uping the amount of formula/ breast milk he is getting
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Avocado. Loaded with fat and requires nothing but cutting open and feeding. You can also use olive oil. HOWEVER... Nienna, I remember your previous posts. With that much formula and no gain yet... they need to look deeper. It's not a food problem, it's a BABY problem and if they haven't started testing for things like celiac sprue, they need to start. He should have put on a LOT of weight in the last two weeks of that formula.

Pester them or find a new doc who will look beyond the menu.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My dd has weight gain issues and was 15lbs2oz at her 11 month weight check. Granted she was only 6lbs8oz at birth, but she has still not gained much since she was 4 months old. She isn't even on the growth charts any more. Some of the things that have helped her gain weight are adding olive oil to her veggies, sprinkling a little formula powder on her solids, and giving her table foods. Especially cream sauces like Alfredo. Just add a drizzle of it to the pureed veggies. Some things that are naturally high in calories are bananas, sweet potatoes, and avocado. You can also talk to the pediatrician about a different formula specific to babies that can't gain weight well (my dd uses EleCare when she gets formula), and some formulas can safely be mixed to 30 calories per oz instead of the standard 20 calories peroz. If you have any more q's about helping baby gain weight, pm me. I've been going through this for a while.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I didn't worry about my children's weight and they are all good. My oldest daughter was 15lb at one year old, second daughter was 11lbs at 7 months old, youngest daughter is 25lbs at 23 m/o. Don't give a 5 month old regular milk, it is worse than putting rice in his bottle. Is he hitting his milestones? He may just not gain weight well, there are people out there that no matter how much they eat they just don't gain weight.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thanks everyone. I am feeding him the Avocados. The doc wants to give him one more month with the added fatty foods to see how that works then go from there. He is hitting all of his milestones just fine and is a very happy baby so I'm also not concerned just yet but I do trust my ped. We actually switched to him b/c of our trust in him!!
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Hmm... my girls are super tiny (my 15 month old weighs 16 pounds and my almost 4 year old weighs 26 pounds) so I have heard it all from different doctors from more butter on veggies to McDonald's once a week (yes a doctor seriously told me that). At such a young age I am not to sure what you could do, if he tolerates dairy try full fat yogurt or even frozen yogurt. Good luck and don't worry.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2011