Is anyone else angry at how the media has represented birth?

Seriously. I have spent my whole life terrified at even becoming pregnant because of the birthing process. After watching some home birth videos and starting in on hypnobirthing techniques I feel like Im trying to undo 27 years of fear! And I'm kinda pissed about it!

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 11:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'm not really following you, I guess. It's not glamorous. I used to be in on deliveries at the hospital and they all looked pretty much the same to me. Do you have plans for a home birth or a birth using hypno? Or are you training to assist?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:20 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think all you have to do is read books about pregnancy and birth and then you will not be frightened. I was not afraid of giving birth at all. I never pay attention to the Media anyway. I read and learned.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I completely agree!!!!!

It is very frustrating!!
    >:-(

Glad to hear you are having this awakening prior to birthing~
    best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:00 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I don't think there's a big difference between the movies I've seen and what I experienced. I agree with m-avi, it's not glamorous - it's messy and painful and called labor for a reason.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:12 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I've just been doing a lot of reading about the statistics about birth and home birth and how safe each is. I have had a long and not good history with doctors. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

But I didn't know until pretty much right before I got pregnant that there were any other options for delivery (i.e. Midwives vs. OB/Gyn, home birth vs. hospital, natural noninvasive monitoring vs. having a bunch of machines hooked up to you for 20 hours)

I really wish every movie, tv show and plot line that shows a delivery would expand from the "OMG ITS A HORRIBLE, PAINFUL, EMERGENCY PROBLEM!!!!" model that we see all of the time.

Also the whole "It's time" like it just happened- she had one contraction and just KNOWS.
    How about the "my water broke so I'm going to have the baby in 20 minutes! Lets get into nearly 20 car accidents on the way to the ER!" model that is so popular?

Just built up all of this anxiety in my head.
    meandrphoto

Comment by meandrphoto (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Yes, Media has made birth scary when it's not.
    Welcome to the "dark side!"

LOL

Congratulations by the way.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2011